• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look like standard light brown to me.

They listed the antique cherry ones by the correct color so dont see why they wouldn't for others.

jb1987

Reaction score
hmm yeah I guess you are right just I did not see that color on their website. It must be one they sold before. Just thought "light brown" was very generic haha.
Are there any pictures of the chestnut antique monks in this thread? Did a search but not seeing anything

pandawooper

Reaction score
Hello! I actually have an inquiry regarding the size that I should purchase for Black Calf Oxfords in either HIRO or ELTON last. According to the Brannock Device, these are my current measurements: Right Foot length 8/8.5US; Right Foot Arch 8/8.5US; Right Foot Width B; Left Foot Length 8US; Left Foot Arch 7.5US; Left Foot Width B or C. I was wondering if anyone could help me choose a size and last that would best fit my feet. Also, I emailed them and was wondering if these are the measurements that my actual foot should be or is this the length of the entirety of the shoe? (E.g "Foot 25.4 cm 7UK" should mean my foot is actually 25.4cm long) Or should my feet length and width match the measurements of the insoles of the shoe?

HIRO

L 290mm shoe outsole 7UK

W 103 mm shoe outsole 7UK

L 272 mm last insole 7UK

W 097mm last insole 7UK

Foot 25.4 cm 7UK

L 294 mm shoe outsole 7.5UK

W 104 mm shoe outsole 7.5UK

L 276 mm last insole 7.5UK

W 099 mm last insole 7.5UK

Foot 25.8 cm 7.5UK

ELTON

L 296 mm shoe outsole 7UK

W 104 mm shoe outsole 7UK

L 276 mm last insole 7UK

W 099 mm last insole 7UK

Foot 25.7 cm 7UK

L 300mm shoe outsole 7.5UK

W 105 mm shoe outsole 7.5UK

L280 mm last insole 7.5UK

W 100 mm last insole 7.5UK

Foot 26.1 cm 7.5UK

jb1987

Reaction score

Luckily for me, I found out about Meermin a week before my trip to Madrid. I got a chance to go to their store and was pretty happy with their selection and quality. Out of the 4 of my coworkers, 3 of us all purchased shoes from there. We also had a chance to walk over to Carmina's, but just didn't think that the difference in quality was worth the extra €100 or so. I've attached a few pics to compare; overall they look very similar, in my opinion. Anyone know what last the Meermin is?. The shoes I ultimately ended up buying were the light brown double monks Linea Maestro. They actually don't seem to have it listed on their website. The interesting thing about the Meermin double monk's that I wanted, however, was that I had to size down a lot. I usually wear 9.5 or 10 US. So I would have figured that I would wear a 8.5 or 9 UK. But what turned out to fit me best, and what was recommended to me by the salesman, was the 7.5 UK. That's a full size down from what I expected. In retrospect, I should have probably tried a few other shoes on to see if this applied to all their shoes, but never got the chance. Overall, really happy with the shoes. Attached a few pics so that you guys could see. Fit is really great and I like the color a lot. Highly recommended. Oh, it might be interesting to note that the cost at the store for these were €260. After a VAT refund, the amount comes down to around €230, which equates to about $250. [URL=http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/1798991/] [/URL]
This worries me because I thought I would be fine buying the Elton duble monks in 8uk (wear 9us in most dress shoes) but now I don't know..

Win545

Reaction score

This worries me because I thought I would be fine buying the Elton duble monks in 8uk (wear 9us in most dress shoes) but now I don't know..

You will be fine. Most of us here size down 1 size from US size on the elton last, including me, and the fit (for me) is great. Feel much better than hiro double monk in the same size.

gusm

Reaction score
Just got a pair of tassel loafers (101381 - S DARK BROWN RAPELLO SUEDE) in 11 uk. They look fantastic but, after wearing them on the carpet, are slightly long for me—typically wear a 12 us (45 Kent wang Oxford fits me pretty well though as well).

jb1987

Reaction score
You will be fine. Most of us here size down 1 size from US size on the elton last, including me, and the fit (for me) is great. Feel much better than hiro double monk in the same size.

Thank you! What do you like more about the fit compared to the hiro? The only thing is how elongated are they? I really don't like to have the toe be that long because I feel like I look funny. I recently purchased a pair of Paul Evans Wholecut shoes in size 8 (I know their sizing is weird but I think this equals a normal size 9) and had to exchange for a 7.5 because they were a bit too long to me. I know this is their style but I think the 7.5 fits better and the width seems to be ok too. Possibly a bit small but something I will live with to not have them as long. I also just picked up a pair of Gordon Rush at Nordstrom Rack because they were on clearance in size 9 however I have the same issue and think I need to exchange for a size 8.5.
With my johnston murphy melton cap toe the size 9 is great as well as in some other shoes I have like steve madden.

So my point to this long winded post is if I should go withthe 8Uk (9us) or 7.5 Uk (8.5US)

thanks!

Last edited:

jb1987

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Would like to order today. And for what it's worth I've asked meermin a couple questions and about switching the sizing and they responded within an hour both times.

Win545

Reaction score

Thank you! What do you like more about the fit compared to the hiro? The only thing is how elongated are they? I really don't like to have the toe be that long because I feel like I look funny. I recently purchased a pair of Paul Evans Wholecut shoes in size 8 (I know their sizing is weird but I think this equals a normal size 9) and had to exchange for a 7.5 because they were a bit too long to me. I know this is their style but I think the 7.5 fits better and the width seems to be ok too. Possibly a bit small but something I will live with to not have them as long. I also just picked up a pair of Gordon Rush at Nordstrom Rack because they were on clearance in size 9 however I have the same issue and think I need to exchange for a size 8.5.
With my johnston murphy melton cap toe the size 9 is great as well as in some other shoes I have like steve madden.

So my point to this long winded post is if I should go withthe 8Uk (9us) or 7.5 Uk (8.5US)

thanks!

http://www.styleforum.net/t/277707/meermin-mallorca-shoes/13380#post_8002665

This is my review a while back. I think it will answer some of your question regarding the fit and the length of the 2 lasts. Excuse my poor photos. :)

jb1987

Reaction score
Thank you those look good. How far do you have from the end of your big toe to the tip of the shoe?

Last edited:

bm93

Reaction score
Received my snuff suede cropped chelseas a few days ago, some pictures:

The Elton last not only looks just like Carmina's Rain last, it fits similarly too:

bm93

Reaction score
Did you take the same size as rain? How does the fit compare? really like those cropped chelseas

Thanks! I did take the same size as Rain, and I found the fit to be similar. Both feel similar in the toe due to the taper of the chisel. I would say Elton's instep is maybe a touch lower than Rain's, but definitely higher than both Hiro and Olfe. Like the Rain as well, I found Elton to have a fairly loose heel.

You can see the Rain vs Elton side-by-side in the image below.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads