• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zurich64

Reaction score
To be honest I'm utterly stuned that anyone can wear the same size in HOK and HIRO. For me they aren't even close. My feet are basically average in terms of width.
HOK is definitely a little bigger, but with thick socks, one can go for the same size. In the case of boots and shoes for winter use, this is much better than a tight-fitting shoe and no option to put on thicker socks.

Potatoe

Reaction score
HOK is definitely a little bigger, but with thick socks, one can go for the same size. In the case of boots and shoes for winter use, this is much better than a tight-fitting shoe and no option to put on thicker socks.
I went down a size and still have to wear thick socks.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why I passed on the dark cognac shell MTO. I gotta get a cheaper and returnable pair to test my HOK last size.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly this. Honestly with how stiff meermin's are, thick socks help a lot with the break in too

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you guys search this thread, there are detailed measurements for Hiro and Hok per size, and are able to have a better comprehension of how the Hok last fits in comparison to how your Hiro size fits.

I've noticed there's a camp of TTS and .5 size down for Hok, so asking for sizing advice on the Hok is always going to be conflicting.

I can't wait for my Hok boots to arrive, so I can add more fuel to the fire.

zurich64

Reaction score
I went down a size and still have to wear thick socks.
Maybe you are in-between sizes? Often the USA/EU/UK size conversion is not exact and in EU you can have more refined half sizes like 41.5. The best fits I could guess are for ski boots based on my mondo size which is more or less the length of my feet in cm.
For most models, and especially loafers, I never buy online as the combination of size and last differences in different countries and shoe manufacturers, makes it a guessing game. Boots are generally a safe choice once you know the last.
I would still go with same size as my normal shoes in HOK and put in a different (thicker) insole for summer use.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you guys search this thread, there are detailed measurements for Hiro and Hok per size, and are able to have a better comprehension of how the Hok last fits in comparison to how your Hiro size fits.

I've noticed there's a camp of TTS and .5 size down for Hok, so asking for sizing advice on the Hok is always going to be conflicting.

For sure but it reminds of the Viberg 2030 vs 2020 last. Like you said, some same size, some half, some even full size down. I had to buy some to figure it out.

MacGuffen

Reaction score

Did you size down?

Sinbios

Reaction score
Did you size down?
I have both HIRO and HOK, I'm TTS on HIRO and sized down 0.5 for HOK, it was a little tight at the start but fit comfortably after wearing for a while, except pinkies don't really have room to flex.

I'd say size down for HOK if you like a snugger fit, go TTS if you like a bit more room.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
I have both HIRO and HOK, I'm TTS on HIRO and sized down 0.5 for HOK, it was a little tight at the start but fit comfortably after wearing for a while, except pinkies don't really have room to flex.

I'd say size down for HOK if you like a snugger fit, go TTS if you like a bit more room.
Yeah, Hiro in my normal size was already too narrow (to the point where I had to sell them) so hoping Hok in same size will fit. I was just curious what he went for since he, like myself, seemed to have studied the size chart.

kampana

Reaction score
I welcome everyone!
In January of this year I ordered 2 pairs from the classic collection. Since my sizes were out of stock, I contacted Meermin and they replied that it was no problem to make them, but with a period of 55 days. On January 12, I paid for them, Meermin confirmed the payment and that the order was put into production. They were not produced on the specified date. In the correspondence with Meermin, I was constantly informed that they would send in two weeks and so on. The last contact was on March 22 with a promise to send the track of the parcel April 3. I did not receive the track, they stopped responding to letters. I tried to write to them on Instagram - they answered that they would transmit my information and silence. Has anyone faced such a problem? What to do, keep waiting? The shoes are standard, just in a size that was not in stock. Three months have passed since the order. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Everything ended well in the end. Although I waited, I received both pairs with a difference of a month. I was satisfied with the shoes

47a380480383.jpg

2525728edafa.jpg

e1e1a9d90a76.jpg

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you size down?
I looked at the measurement charts carefully and went .5 size down. Initially, I had miss-sized with my Hiro, but thought it was the right size due to how constricting Meermin feels initially but with wear I discover the Hiro double monks were a .5 size too big. Major heel slip regardless of the thickness of sock and how tight I tried to wear. Granted they're buckles instead of laces, so it's limiting to how tight they can be worn. My tts size HOK, UK 9, would've been bigger than the UK 9.5 size Hiro which was a .5 size big for me. So, if I would've gone tts in the HOK last, then my feet would most likely be swimming. This is all theoretical obviously since my boots haven't arrived, but voiced them since you asked. :)

Hiro 9 measurements:
Size: 9
Length: 299.2
Width: 97
Girth: 249
Foot length: 279.2

Hiro 9.5 measurements:

HOK 9 measurements:

HOK 9.5 measurements:
Size: 9.5
Length: 304.3
Width:100
Girth: 257
Foot length: 284.2

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post a little PSA for those interested. The Waxed Shell Cordovan Jumper Boot MTO arrived at my doorstep in Australia today. No shipping notification so had no idea it was coming. I may get a speeding fine on the way home from work. Pics to follow.
Was that the no-name-tannery $350 shell boot?

weren’t those after the custom field boot GMTO?

i sometime get confused with before and after, too early hahah

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads