• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jmills

Reaction score
Having style doesn't necessarily mean you look good btw.

puzzled.gif

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, and I'd be willing to bet it's in the minority with regard to the boots being "hideous".
Not your cup of tea fine, but they are not fugly, come on....

Not fugly, but hideous. Or maybe not hideous, but just too fashion forward for the vast majority of peacock wannabes.

This website has a hard on for these suede/calf monstrosities. They are boots that end up sitting in people's closets because they look costumey and ridiculous with modern clothes (as classic as they may be).
On here, they get a lot of love. In the real world, I'd bet the vast majority of people would think they look stupid, me included.
The worst is those losers in the G&G thread. You could put up a piece of dogshit on top of a G&G insole and they would all go nuts fawning over it.

G&G bad taste vender promotion threak.

Last edited:

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Re-post for...obvious reasons.

Not fugly, but hideous.  Or maybe not hideous, but just too fashion forward for the vast majority of peacock wannabes.

There's something to be said for some proper presentation - good photography, staging, lighting, etc. I suspect the meermins would present a heckuva lot better if shown off like these (the fact that these are actual G&Gs notwithstanding):

And then get your SpooStones on and sport them like so:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's something to be said for some proper presentation - good photography, staging, lighting, etc. I suspect the meermins would present a heckuva lot better if shown off like these (the fact that these are actual G&Gs notwithstanding):

And then get your SpooStones on and sport them like so:

Aside from the visual/design imperfections, bal boots w/ suede boots handle is hard to wear in most environments. Not saying that they are not beautiful, but very hard to wear.

p.s., nothing against Spoo, but his polish job made his pair of Wigmore looks pretty bad.

Jayross

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Meermin does any sales or anything? I'm a university student and a bit strapped for cash. I've heard the lower-end stuff ends up coming to around $220 including shipping? I was expecting it to be sub-$200 given that I don't have to pay the 20% vat or whatever.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
This website has a hard on for these suede/calf monstrosities. They are boots that end up sitting in people's closets because they look costumey and ridiculous with modern clothes (as classic as they may be).
On here, they get a lot of love. In the real world, I'd bet the vast majority of people would think they look stupid, me included.
The worst is those losers in the G&G thread. You could put up a piece of dogshit on top of a G&G insole and they would all go nuts fawning over it.

Why aren't we allowed nice things?

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
wearing outlandish **** like these ugly boots could be considered a personal style.
Doesn't mean it looks good.
For reference, see steve harvey's 4 and 5 button suits.

I never thought suede and calf balmoral boots were in any way outlandish - perhaps you should just leave those of us who appreciate classics to... y'know... do it in peace?

I also think those boots look great and I'd love a pair in burgundy.

Last edited:

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Meermin does any sales or anything? I'm a university student and a bit strapped for cash. I've heard the lower-end stuff ends up coming to around $220 including shipping? I was expecting it to be sub-$200 given that I don't have to pay the 20% vat or whatever.
Yeah, you could probably get it for somewhere around sub $200 to a lil more than $200 range if you didn't get shoe trees with your purchase. Though one can not count whether customs will do it's bs on you :) Though If you know somewhere that you can get cheap shoe trees that will fit go for it!

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I never thought suede and calf balmoral boots were in any way outlandish - perhaps you should just leave those of us who appreciate classics to... y'know... do it in peace?

I also think those boots look great and I'd love a pair in burgundy.

so buy them and look ridiculous or leave them in the closet.

printyra

Reaction score
You dont pay VAT but you pay international shipping which is essentially the same price as the VAT. So when all is said and done, you subtract the VAT but add on the shipping and you are back where you started, around 160 some euros. Convert that over to USD and its about $220.

cuponoodles

Reaction score
While I think those shoes will turn out okay, I definitely think the speedhooks don't look right on such a sleek and formal boot. Definitely not matching styles.

In regard to the 'good looking' vs. 'wearability' argument, I think that the suede/leather boots are very aesthetically beautiful to look at, although they have to be styled in such a way to maximize their flair, or they tend to look goofy and off. Just my opinion, though.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They don't do sales, you could maybe get factory seconds. You can score lightly used or even new Allen Edmonds and the like for cheap on eBay, just set up saved searches and have them email you. Or just pregame a lot harder and eat more pasta, that strategy saved me $100-$300 a week

The speedhooks are awful.

That said, what's impressive is the presumed price of those.

The only competitive offering is the Andrew Lock Northampton boot that I'm not keen on.

Otherwise, where can you get a boot like that south of a Carmina MTO price-point?

http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/news/80092-robert-grain-bot

2880 SEK which is like $430. Factor in shipping you are still under $500 and it's shipped Swedish post so very low chance of customs (vs. the $30-60 in the states from Fedex). Group MTO at 6 people should be pretty easy as price is that low as well. And Carmina doesn't have random QC issues

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads