• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1000 pages of satisfied customers who probably didn't know better or back when Meermin was good quality. And no I'm not slamming Meermins for some commercial scheme or whatever and I got invoices to proof it as a genuine buyer. In fact I got 2 more shells coming. Thus a total of 10 shoes I ever ordered from them. Meermins are not Toyotas. Toyotas are actually comfortable cars.

Whoever said shoes are more important than a watch clearly never owned a Rolex or RM. We're always pushing the limit of acceptability so if we can achieve the same with $180 all is good. This is sadly not the case.

My comments only served as a warning as a good customer of Meermin to warn people what they're getting into should they decide to give these shoes a try. If your experiences are different then fine no need to get personal.

Stani777

Reaction score
For $150? Thats the price of their 2nds. $210 for the pair - be correct please. Thats actually 40% more! And plenty of us get for those $ not even factory seconds, but let's say 3rds and 4ths....with multiple holes in the uppers and nails inside.
If they would cost $150 for perfect pair - that would be awesome, but thats completely different story and obviously not the case.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My apologies. My GMTO was $175, as were my previous pairs and the ones on the website. I've never ordered from eBay user goodyearshoes since Meermin said that they were not affiliated to them, although if buying seconds I would not be complaining about QA by definition.

I still think it is hard to find cheaper. Usually, an important detail will be missed out. Blake stitched shoes (in my experience) wear out faster and aren't as comfortable. Leather quality is a problem with many of the "super cheap" Parisian or Spanish brands. The only other brand I can vouch for in that price range is Orban's, which I think is a little better quality (particularly finer finishing) but whose sizes are slightly further from my foot. I *think* I've seen Orban's for 135 EUR but I can't find it again; at 175 EUR it is in a superior price band (although the Corthay buyer won't understand that the difference matters).

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they would cost $150 for perfect pair - that would be awesome, but thats completely different story and obviously not the case.

Even at $300 if a keeper first time then all's good. Blessed are those with low acceptance standard and I mean that as a true compliment.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My apologies. My GMTO was $175, as were my previous pairs and the ones on the website. I've never ordered from eBay user goodyearshoes since Meermin said that they were not affiliated to them, although if buying seconds I would not be complaining about QA by definition.

I still think it is hard to find cheaper. Usually, an important detail will be missed out. Blake stitched shoes (in my experience) wear out faster and aren't as comfortable. Leather quality is a problem with many of the "super cheap" Parisian or Spanish brands. The only other brand I can vouch for in that price range is Orban's, which I think is a little better quality (particularly finer finishing) but whose sizes are slightly further from my foot. I *think* I've seen Orban's for 135 EUR but I can't find it again; at 175 EUR it is in a superior price band (although the Corthay buyer won't understand that the difference matters).

All blakes I've owned ie Doucals are more comfortable than my Meermins. Just to say that everyone's different and someone may just save some $ by going blake instead of forcing oneself on the goodyear band.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here you go, top: Orban's after 40 wears, bottom, Meermin after a 10 minute trial wear. Note: no nail:

kPiPgTj.jpg

Danitch

Reaction score
Even at $300 if a keeper first time then all's good. Blessed are those with low acceptance standard and I mean that as a true compliment.
Certainly, meermin is not the best footwear in the world, but it is good enough for its value.

I have 3 pairs of Loake 1880 (220 pounds) and about 8 - meermin (CC, 175$) and do not see any reason why Loake can be better.
My loake has a worse design, a much worse skill, worse leather and low strength construction.
I do not doubt that the Alfred Sargent (350 pounds) will be better than meermin, but it is more expensive than twice.

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1000 pages of satisfied customers who probably didn't know better or back when Meermin was good quality. And no I'm not slamming Meermins for some commercial scheme or whatever and I got invoices to proof it as a genuine buyer. In fact I got 2 more shells coming. Thus a total of 10 shoes I ever ordered from them. Meermins are not Toyotas. Toyotas are actually comfortable cars.

Whoever said shoes are more important than a watch clearly never owned a Rolex or RM. We're always pushing the limit of acceptability so if we can achieve the same with $180 all is good. This is sadly not the case.

My comments only served as a warning as a good customer of Meermin to warn people what they're getting into should they decide to give these shoes a try. If your experiences are different then fine no need to get personal.

Although to answer you makes no sense I will correct you; I was the one that said that shoes are more important than watches and I clearly own a Rolex Thunderbird Turn-O-Graph 1265-8, Oyster Perpetual Datejust, solid 18k gold with gold jubilee band. Your comment is simply stupid.
Finally you seem to be not much coherent nor rational; about 10 pairs of Meermin shoes and warning people not to buy them. Good luck with the sales!! :crackup:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although to answer you makes no sense I will correct you; I was the one that said that shoes are more important than watches and I clearly own a Rolex Thunderbird Turn-O-Graph 1265-8, Oyster Perpetual Datejust, solid 18k gold with gold jubilee band. Your comment is simply stupid.
Finally you seem to be not much coherent nor rational; about 10 pairs of Meermin shoes and warning people not to buy them. Good luck with the sales!! :crackup:

Ahh yes all the wrong kind of Rolexes. Own any other watches?

I warned them not to buy the non shells. But I won't call you stupid.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I googled Doucal's and found a bunch of reconstituted leather shoes with a rubber sole and possibly fake stitch for $130, and shoes with low quality leather and a pretty bad patina for $150, and loafers for $240 that again I believe inferior to Meermin.

Here are some Doucal monks for $175, the same price as Meermin. Note the leather is already badly creased in the actual retail photo. The stitching quality really is a work of art and everything is perfectly aligned and proportioned:

1DjkStQ.jpg

Here is the Meermin equivalent:

8xdO11y.png

Which of the two will you prefer wearing after 100 wears?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I googled Doucal's and found a bunch of reconstituted leather shoes with a rubber sole and possibly fake stitch for $130, and shoes with low quality leather and a pretty bad patina for $150, and loafers for $240 that again I believe inferior to Meermin.

Here are some Doucal monks for $175, the same price as Meermin. Note the leather is already badly creased in the actual retail photo. The stitching quality really is a work of art and everything is perfectly aligned and proportioned:

1DjkStQ.jpg

Here is the Meermin equivalent:

8xdO11y.png

Which of the two will you prefer wearing after 100 wears?

Don't look at marketing pics. Actually order some and compare yourself. Some Doucal's are really good looking. Coincidentally Meermins look awesome on pics and specs just like my featured IG pic on the Inspire Me section on their website. What people didn't know was how painful it was to wear it for that shot.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't look at marketing pics. Actually order some and compare yourself. Some Doucal's are really good looking. Coincidentally Meermins look awesome on pics and specs just like my featured IG pic on the Inspire Me section on their website. What people didn't know was how painful it was to wear it for that shot.
Would you mind posting photos of your Doucals here?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an anecdote about comfort: I bought some Hush Puppies shoes in a futile attempt at making walking long distances in leather shoes more comfortable. I shined them to as close to a decent finish as I could, which took 4 times as long on the plastified leather. I then wore them to a conference where I stood for about 6 hours walking around and shaking hands and so on.

My arches and knees were killing me at the end of the day. These soft shoes don't support your foot at all, it is like walking around barefoot - which is fine if you are used to it. In contrast, the leather shoes I returned to afterwards, whilst being prone to blistering early in their life no matter the cost, are much better at supporting the actual motion of walking around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads