• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Med-School second look outfit

ewsmith89

Reaction score
A friend of mine was just accepted to Stanford Med School and his going for the second-look weekend, which is compromised of different social events/acts of courtship between the school and the accepted students.

He was curious what would be appropriate to wear to a function like this? And I thought of you all. Considerations - don't want to be too stiff formal, but there obviously needs to be smart dressing going on.

Any recommendations from anyone thats familiar with these sort of occasions? Thanks ahead.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
STANFORD medical school?
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

Oh wow! top notch, no doubt!

Super duper genius smart person soon-to-be real doctor!!!!!!!!!!
bounce2.gif

Only a tuxedo will do, at a minimum.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
depends on the time of day...

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
STANFORD medical school?
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

Oh wow! top notch, no doubt!

Super duper genius smart person soon-to-be real doctor!!!!!!!!!!
bounce2.gif

Only a tuxedo will do, at a minimum.

I am totally confused by this post.

Anyway, your friend should keep it simple and preppy - for weekend events, you won't see people in suits. Khakis, oxford cloth shirt, navy blazer, maybe a simple tie if your pal wants to go the extra mile - he'll look great.

Pinstripes, double cuffs, etc. - no way. The only doctors who wear such things are plastic surgeons, and all other doctors think they look ridiculous.

Congrats to your buddy. He should be proud.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo and khakis. It's a second look. He's already in. Who cares what he wears?

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
Polo and khakis. It's a second look. He's already in. Who cares what he wears?

Yup. The blazer suggestion was in case he didn't want to look too shlubby. But, frankly, this also works.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
I am totally confused by this post.

Anyway, your friend should keep it simple and preppy - for weekend events, you won't see people in suits. Khakis, oxford cloth shirt, navy blazer, maybe a simple tie if your pal wants to go the extra mile - he'll look great.

Pinstripes, double cuffs, etc. - no way. The only doctors who wear such things are plastic surgeons, and all other doctors think they look ridiculous.

Congrats to your buddy. He should be proud.

Stanford is spelled Stamford.

CaymanS

Reaction score
http://med.stanford.edu/

^ For the love of Jesus Christ and every other holy person, can somebody tell me what I'm missing. I continue to be at a total ******* loss. Thanks.

pgd3

Reaction score
Does he have a schedule of events?

For instance, I'd imagine there is an introductory meet and greet friday night, followed I can only assume by drinking, easy enough to go with a jacket and tie while wearing a decent shirt and slacks, and that can dress down really quickly by ditching the jacket and tie, then you're not out of the range of the jeans and buttoned shirt crowd.

Of course these sorts of things are often sponsored by some sort of student/school group which probably has a website and probably has images of last years event...

ewsmith89

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the recommendations. And CaymanS - I too am at a loss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads