• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Masters degree in PR--Is it worth it?

JMarsh

Reaction score
I'm currently a 4th year undergrad in journalism, and I'm planning on going into the PR field when I graduate. But, I'm wondering if I should get a Master's degree in it. Some people have said that in the long run it would be good, but others have said it won't really make a difference. I'm in a PR/communications internship right now, so I know it's what I want to do--I don't think grad school would help there. Plus I really don't want to get student loan debt. But would it help me at all, long-term or short term? Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say work in the field first. Figure out how you like and where exactly you want to go with it and then consider grad school.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I occasionally work with PR firms. Looking at the resumes of the one I'm working with now, none of the 4 senior people I deal with have graduate degrees. They all have bachelors degrees and a lot of work experience. No idea what the qualifications are of the junior people.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd say work in the field first. Figure out how you like and where exactly you want to go with it and then consider grad school.

this - no point in going straight to grad school WHATSOEVER

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My fiance works at one of the four largest worldwide PR firms. With a single exception, none of her seniors at the Korean office has a graduate degree (and that degree is in journalism).

imschatz

Reaction score

this - no point in going straight to grad school WHATSOEVER
depends .. I found going straight to grad school really helped my career so far. I had trouble finding meaningful employment straight out of undergrad - my internships were in Government and government owned/run companies (good ol' Commie Canada) - and they were cutting jobs when I finished school.

So I had no direct "in's". When I finished my Econ MA, I got hired with 3 other people, ALL of which graduated at the same time I did. They sat around working PT **** jobs, while I got my MA and we all got meaningful employment at the same time.

Not to mention .. my MA only cost me $10,000 in tuition and students in my class got $20k in funding - I didn't get funding but that's because I applied late more then anything.

If you've got decent job prospects out of school .. then I'd say ya there's no point in passing up a job for more schooling.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was commenting on OP's particular dilemma not making a blank statement about graduate schools; circumstances differ so others may be better off doing grad school right after undergrad but it's rare and I don't believe it applies in this case

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I run a PR firm. No point. Get a job.

JMarsh, I've chatted about PR with Matt before. He knows his stuff. He knows it very, very well.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
None whatsoever.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The PR industry is sink or swim, no one cares how many books you've read when your feet hit the water.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not only would I skip grad school as others have said, but I would not major in journalism, either. And I'm a journalist. Much, much better off studying history or English or political science or philosophy or some other field of study that teaches critical thinking rather than listen to washed-up former journalists turned professors tell war stories. Too late for you, of course, but if you want to work in the field, get a job working in the field.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worked in PR, at the agency level, on the client side and in the media. I think it could be beneficial because it would expose you to al the new techniques in social media. That has really changed the landscape in the field. I was accepted into the strategic communications master's program at George Washington. I ended up not doing it because I got a job in the financial markets and would not have needed it. But I was impeessed by the curriculum. I think the value would not be so much in impressing a guy like Matt, who runs a PR firm, enough to hire you, rather in the skills you would acquire. That said though, why not get entry level job first to get some experience.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With a few exceptions masters degrees are pretty worthless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads