• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Master Bath Remodel Project

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Time to get rid of the standard builder's master bathroom and make much better use of the space. Double doors are a waste of space (imo), but have become a standard feature on a lot of new homes. Will reframe the doorway to a single door, and use part of the space gained for a large storage cabinet and the rest for enlarging the standard shower. Will also lose the rarely used jacuzzi tub in favor of a good sized soaking tub. That'll get the shower up to 42" by 87". Will have a couple of large towel warmers installed also, overhead lighting (which was missing from the builder's bath), and the newer style tub spout with built in spray wand.

Theme is basically slate with some glass tile accents, quartz counters with white undermount sinks, cherry espresso cabinets, chrome faucets and pulls, and a Grohe shower system.

Total size of the space is 12' x 10.5' - tear out is tomorrow, I'll update with pics as it evolves for those who might be considering a bath remodel. Should be complete in a week except for painting and the frameless glass which has to be fabricated after the shower is built.

Last edited:

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Day 1, only a half day today, most of the tear out is done, half wall was removed, only some flooring remaining... quartz delivered along with toilet, sinks, and some other accessories.

Last edited:

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Day 2 morning... tile, the Schluter system, and numerous other odds and ends are now stacked in the garage. Grabbed some paint chips for the wife to start debating over. (grays with blue tint)

Balance of floor tile removed, doors removed and ready to be reframed, and plumbing relocations starting. Both shower and tub drains have to move, as well as the water feeds. (since the new shower is wider)

Last edited:

ChrisGold

Reaction score

Is it too late to order one of those mirrors with built in TV?

one of several sites:

http://www.evervuetv.com/mv.html

Yes, too late now but it was considered. I gave into the wife who was dead set against it. The mirror could always be replaced later on if I can talk her into it in the future.

I stayed at a hotel in Vienna in September that had one on a clock / motion sensor. Every time I walked into the bathroom during the day it would come on to the preset channel, then turned off when it detected I was no longer in there.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
End of day two, shower is built out and Schluter system is installed, ready for tile. Tub drain and water lines have been relocated, and the new, smaller door has been framed out. Everything is in my garage except for the cabinetry, which they'll bring over just prior to install. So far everything is on schedule... I'm frankly amazed at how much can get done in 1.5 days by guys that know what they're doing.

Last edited:

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Day 3 - All cabinetry has been delivered along with the tub. Electrical changes for the chandelier, heated towel bars, and relocation of a couple of outlets were completed. Shower walls in the process of being tiled now. I snuck my head in for a quick peek but I'm just trying to stay out of the way until the end of the day. Garage is full now but I believe cabinets and tub will be installed tomorrow so that will open that space back up.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
End of day 3... shower walls done, old light bar removed and second box installed for 2 mirror lights, floor repairs done and wall repairs almost complete.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Day 4 morning - door frame is done, door can be hung at any time, shower floor tile is in and the floor is now covered in cement board as a better base for the tile / tub.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
3 1/2 days complete, all tile work is done, another coat on the wall repairs. Ready to grout, and install cabinetry, tub, sinks and lighting. Glass company will take their measurements on Monday morning so they can fabricate and temper the glass. If my wife can just decide on a wall color we'd be on cruise control...

Last edited:

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Day 5 morning. Shower walls grouted and Grohe system installed. More wall repair done and lighting installed, including the chandelier from the new drop they had to pull through the attic.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Day 5 early afternoon. Vanity cabinet installed and top/sinks/faucets/drains assembled in the driveway, ready to be placed on top. Counter is Cambria quartz, undermount sinks and faucets are American Standard and all the cabinetry is Yorktowne.

Last edited:

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Home stretch now, vanity plumbed and working, all the grout work done on the floor and shower floor. (darker, sanded grout for the floors and lighter smooth grout for the shower walls) Linen cabinet installed, which replaced the half wall that was there, still needs the side panel that matches the doors to be added. Glass company took all their measurements so that they can fabricate the frame-less shower enclosure, which takes a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads