• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making Risotto Tonight

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I'm going to make risotto tonight.

I usually make a mushroom risotto with home-made chicken stock, shitakes, and maybe some dried porcinis if I have them. Obviously parmesan cheese, and some onion, too.

I read in my Hazan that I'm not supposed to be using chicken stock, and that the broth is preferably a beef broth with very little flavor. Maybe that's more classically Italian, but everyone seems to love the chicken-broth based dish.

Tonight I have a little bit of homemade beef broth I made last week, but it's probably not enough. I'll probably need to add some store-bought broth.

I was figuring on making mushroom risotto again since it's pretty easy. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Also, any suggestions on a meat to serve with it? Needs to be easy and relatively quick. I was just going to do a simple whole baked chicken with lemons, but I'm wondering if that's not the best pairing.

What do the foodies of SF have to suggest?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hazan?

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would do everything I could to avoid using store bought broth. Add wine to make up for your shortage of beef stock, or use the dried mushrooms to make a bit of mushroom stock to stretch the beef, but don't resort to the store bought stuff. Just my opinion.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Marcella Hazan, renowned Italian food author.. This book is like my kitchen Bible.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
I would do everything I could to avoid using store bought broth. Add wine to make up for your shortage of beef stock, or use the dried mushrooms to make a bit of mushroom stock to stretch the beef, but don't resort to the store bought stuff. Just my opinion.

Yeah I hate using store broth too, and I considered just what you proffered, but I don't want it to taste too weak or bland or watered-down.

Still, I'm on the fence.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use bouillon cubes all the time - what's the big deal?

Rossini

Reaction score
I'm not against decent quality store stock. Some of it is more than good enough. If your mushroom risotto is in any way decent you shouldn't need anything to go with it. Roast the mushrooms beforehand with some thyme or rosemary, garlic, wine, japanese chili if you want. You could wilt some spinach and joint the chicken and serve risotto-spinach-chicken in a little informal tower. Or you could roast some squash (not really the right season though) and puree it and add it to, and through, the risotto for a different dimension. A bit of parsley perhaps. Generally, I wouldn't mess with a good mushroom risotto.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Remember - final touch is the burro - a tbsp or so "at full whack", and then top on, 5 mins. sitting off the heat.

A friend of ours spotted MH in a restaurant down in Fla. - cornedbeef sandwich, bourbon and puffing a cig....
confused.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hm. Roasting the mushrooms is an interesting twist I hadn't thought of. I generally saute them first. Might introduce another level of flavor.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rissoto isn't a side dish, it is a course in and of itself.

I use mostly store bought beef stock, myself. good parmesion, good butter, good olive oil, a dash of good cream, good safran, pine nuts.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find that soaking the dried porcini mushrooms in a simmering broth for a few minutes gives the broth a pretty intense mushroomy flavor that the type of broth I use is really not that important anyway. I also like to throw in some peas at the end to add a little color to the risotto.

I'm also with globetrotter. I usually treat my risotto as a main dish, unless I'm making a big meal for a specific reason. It's too time-consuming for me to deal with any other main dish.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I was going to make risotto tonight too.
frown.gif
I was all excited about it, and when I got home I realized I left my arborio rice in Indy.
frown.gif

Wild rice, broccoli, and pork loin for me tonight.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I use bouillon cubes all the time - what's the big deal?

They are salt bombs.

tdangio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
I like my risotto with a lot of white wine in it, but maybe that's just me.

I generally use a decent amount of white wine too. I like throwing some asparagus into my risotto.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads