• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for tips on starting a new wardrobe

Bvonh55

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm hoping I can get some guidance here. I am a newly practicing attorney (somewhat older than most new attys), and I have been used to working in a non-legal corporate job where I could get a way with dressing pretty casually. You guys would probably gasp, but I live in Texas where business casual can be khakis/polo and cowboy boots. In my late twenties, I prided myself in dressing quite a bit "sharper," but somewhere along the way, I've lost that. Now that I'm practicing law (and in downtown), I feel like I need to start building a more professional wardrobe. I already have some suits, and will be getting more, but I'm looking more for day to day business casual that is traditional/conservative. The firm does not require ties, but I may do it anyway. I'm not really concerned at all with being "stylish" per se, and I really can't afford to be buying $150 shirts. I was hoping to get some ideas on where to start...inexpensive shops, number of trousers/patterns/colors you'd recommend. I hope this question makes sense. Thanks in advance for any tips you may have.

Btw, I have my eye on Swaine Brigg bag...omg. I figure I need to dress a little nicer first.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Ill add this....start at your feet. Buy the best shoes you can afford. or check out the B&S forum here for great deals. pretty much everyone can agree that allen edmonds park aves are the best starter shoe. If you look hard enough you can get em for a steal. A wise man once told me that good shoes will take you far in the world....i believe that. ;)

after shoes, get a great navy blazer.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For someone in your position I would recommend getting the staples of a business casual wardrobe before anything else.

Good clothes last longer than cheap clothes, which doesn't mean you need to overspend but consider the cost of replacement.

I'd consider getting year round wool trousers in mid, light and charcoal grey. A couple pair of burgundy and brown cordovan loafers and Oxford cloth shirts in blue and white.

ajmanouk

Reaction score

If this price range is too high or you're looking to get some more good quality staples for the prices might I recommend a few substitutions:

-Suitsupply/Wizard of Aahs for your suit(s)
-Moderntailor for your shirts
-AE as opposed to Alden for shoes (can be easily found at discount)
-Used ties from B&S
-Scanning B&S regularly for other deals

claerion

Reaction score
When you say discount you mean used? Or new on sale? I'm looking at getting a pair of fifth aves and would ideally like to buy new on sale. If they do where are the best places to keep an eye out for them?

ajmanouk

Reaction score

When you say discount you mean used? Or new on sale? I'm looking at getting a pair of fifth aves and would ideally like to buy new on sale. If they do where are the best places to keep an eye out for them?

Well generally I mean used. You can shop around eBay or B&S and get shoes worn once or twice (easy to tell by looking at a picture of the heel) for half of the MSRP quite frequently. If you insist on new, email Allen Edmonds or call them and ask for a list of factory seconds in your size. Bit of a discount from full price.

claerion

Reaction score

Well generally I mean used. You can shop around eBay or B&S and get shoes worn once or twice (easy to tell by looking at a picture of the heel) for half of the MSRP quite frequently. If you insist on new, email Allen Edmonds or call them and ask for a list of factory seconds in your size. Bit of a discount from full price.

Thanks for clarifying. I don't have anything against used, but if there was a sale I wouldn't have an issue paying a little more for new is all I was saying. Thanks!

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search for "Allen Edmonds MEGA THREAD", SF member allaboutshoes sells first quality Allen Edmonds at a discount.

stubloom

Reaction score
1. Understand your body shape (tall, athletic, short, stocky, round face, thin face, etc.) and skin color (white, ruddy, black, brown, fair, etc.) .

2. Determine what colors (lights, pastels, darks, etc.) and patterns (solids, stripes, plaids, etc.) best compliment your particular body shape and skin color. Why is this important? Because you now know exactly what to look for. Conversely, you won't waste your time and/or resources buying items of clothing you'll never ever wear. If you don't know the answer, go online. There are sites that will help you figure this out by asking you for some basic information. If this doesn't work, think about consulting an image consultant or personal clothier.

3. Develop your own personal style. There are many excellent blogs that will help you develop "a mental picture" of what you might project to be your own personal style (example: A Suitable Wardrobe and Permanent Style). Again, that'll help you in your garment selection.

4. Buy quality whenever you can afford it. Even if it's from Ebay.

5. Consider having your shirts custom made. There is NOTHING worse than an ill-fitting shirt. Look around you. You'll probably find that most of the shirts worn by your colleagues look like they were bought at Tent & Tarpaulin. You can find good quality custom made shirts for about the same price or not much more than a "branded", full priced OTR shirt.

6. Have your garments properly tailored. A reasonably priced, well tailored garment looks far better than an expensive, poor fitting garment ever will.

Good luck

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2. Determine what colors (lights, pastels, darks, etc.) and patterns (solids, stripes, plaids, etc.) best compliment your particular body shape and skin color. Why is this important? Because you now know exactly what to look for. Conversely, you won't waste your time and/or resources buying items of clothing you'll never ever wear. If you don't know the answer, go online. There are sites that will help you figure this out by asking you for some basic information. If this doesn't work, think about consulting an image consultant or personal clothier.

Thanks :D That's a very good argument for an image consultant. One is also supposed to factor personality into it, i.e., someone with a quiet personality might be better off avoiding loud-colored solids even though they'd go well with his physical characteristicis.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads