• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for the slimmest shirts, pants, and suits?

Quixx

Reaction score
I'm starting work soon and I'm looking for appropriate business casual / professional attire. I'm clueless about these matters. I'm very slim (5'9" and 135 pounds), and want clothes that are very form fitting. I'm looking for pants, shirts, and perhaps a suit. My criteria: Preferably low maintenance (wrinkle free, non iron) Within $20 - $80 range for shirts / pants Slim / skinny fitting Any brands you guys would recommend, and outlets/stores/online retailers you would direct me towards? I've looked at Ben Sherman but more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Quixx

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree w/ above. Should check out H&M and Uniqlo.

Would also add Zara, Gilt sales, and sample sales.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M is not business-appropriate, or for that matter men-appropriate. Rethink "very form fitting."

Lendial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
H&M is not business-appropriate, or for that matter men-appropriate. Rethink "very form fitting."

on the contrary, h&m sounds like the ideal choice considering his budget and slim frame. his definition of form fitting is probably not as extremely as you're thinking. he probably has had a terrible time finding dress shirts that do not have a circus tent effect around his weight.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will echo that "skinny" is not the way to go for suits. You'll look like you're trying to hard to be fashionable.

Now, proper-fitting and "slim" are acceptable in the work place. Just make sure they are in conservative patterns and colours. Also, hit the gym. I wish I was trying to gain weight instead of trying to lose it.

Disregard above advice if you are not working in a conservative setting.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I will echo that "skinny" is not the way to go for suits. You'll look like you're trying to hard to be fashionable.

+1, but not as a warning against fashion forwardness so much as a warning about going overboard on tightness or slimness of fit.

If you're a skinny guy, you do not want clothing to be too tight. You'll look even scrawnier as a result. The sweet spot is relatively form-fitting, but not hugging-the-skin form-fitting. Especially with pants, if you've got skinny legs. Nothing looks worse on a skinny guy than the sight of his tiny legs in too-tight pants. It's a very cartoonish, Ichabod Crane type of look, and it is not a good one.

Quixx

Reaction score
Bump

Can anyone post links to recommendations?

Especially for discount sites / retailers specifically for clothing (i.e. Gilt Groupe... except more affordable). I'm mostly relying on Google Shopping for my browsing. Right now I'm looking at Express 'Photographer' Fit pants and Ben Sherman 'Hampstead' and 'Rod' fit trousers.

Also, I box competitively so I'm staying within my weight class.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should also take a look at yoox.com

They have huge sales all the time on clothing from last season (but for shirts and suits, I don't get what really changes except you get huge discounts). Most of their stuff is really slim fitting since they are Euro brands. The only thing is that a lot of the brands aren't found in the US, so it can be hit or miss if it's a brand you're not familiar with.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate not wanting to wear suits that are too close fitting, but brands like Zara and H&M are two brands that are affordable and offer suits and shirts that might actually fit him, especially when it sounds like he would need a smaller size.

As long as the suit isn't too slim, shiny, I think they're worth a look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads