• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for suggestions for Suit Alterations

brandon1987

Reaction score
I am a groomsman in a friend's wedding this coming September, and he has told us that it's on us to have our own simple black suits to wear. I'm fine by that since every guy needs a black suit, but I wasn't really willing to dump a large sum of money on it, since it won't get much use. I shopped around and this was the best fitting one I could find.

I know I need to hem the pants, shorten the sleaves and maybe the length of the jacket too, but any addition advice you can give me on the fit of the suit, and any recommended alterations you see fit would be greatly appreciated.

100_1316.jpg

100_1317.jpg

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides what you mentioned, I think the suit is a size too big for you.

brandon1987

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Besides what you mentioned, I think the suit is a size too big for you.
Really? Wow, so that would mean that if I wanted a better fitting suit I would HAVE to go custom or start shopping in the children's dept...lol I can't say I've ever seen a European size 44 suit anywhere.

Publius

Reaction score
A 44 Euro size is a size 34", right? It's not impossible to find something that size, but it's hard (I know, I am also a small size). I don't know what suit you're wearing in the picture, but it's not impossible to find suits that fit a small frame. Thomas Pink makes size 34". I also have a couple slim fitting Paul Smith 36" suits that fit much more like a 34" or 35" jacket. You're either going to spend a heap of money at the tailor or find a suit that fits better and require less tailoring.

brandon1987

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Publius
A 44 Euro size is a size 34", right? It's not impossible to find something that size, but it's hard (I know, I am also a small size). I don't know what suit you're wearing in the picture, but it's not impossible to find suits that fit a small frame. Thomas Pink makes size 34". I also have a couple slim fitting Paul Smith 36" suits that fit much more like a 34" or 35" jacket. You're either going to spend a heap of money at the tailor or find a suit that fits better and require less tailoring.
Yes, a 44EU is the same as a 34. And after having made that post feeling pretty discouraged, I went out and found a new suit...I only bought the jacket so far (as they have quite a few pairs of the pants and I wanted more opinions first), so here are the pictures:
100_1331.jpg
100_1333.jpg
In these pictures I have the sleeves and pants rolled under to give a better indication of what I hope it could look like. The shoulders seem to fit better, but the rest of the jacket seems a little bulky still, I'm concerned with how the back looks, is this something that a tailor can fix? I'd be looking to have the waist narrowed down too as I do prefer a slim/closer fitting suit. Also, another reason why I hadn't bought the pants yet was because, while they fit in the waist, I found them to be a little too baggy compared to the ones I am wearing in the pictures (even these could probably be a little more slim). Again, would this be something a tailor could take care of for me without having to completely cut me a new pair of pants? lol Hopefully I am getting there, since if I have to go buy another suit, I really should have just spent the money on one higher end suit to begin with. Any other suggestions you can give me to help with the fit would be great (also note that the shirt and tie will not be the ones worn for the wedding, I'll be looking for a white french cuff shirt and I think the groom has ties and pocket squares for us). Thanks,

DPD

Reaction score
Much better fit to the second suit; the first needed a lot of alteration work to the shoulders, back and sleeves. The back is sitting wrong on the second one, however, I can't tell from the pictures if it's pulling from the front or is excess fabric. It does look like it could be fixed by a handy tailor or seamstress though.

A french cuff will look nice with the second one, mostly because you'll be able to show a fair bit of cuff.

brandon1987

Reaction score
Thanks DPD, it's definitely extra fabric, so that's good to know that it's something that can be taken care of by a tailor. Maybe I'll run up and pick up the pants after work today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads