• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Looking for books on stock analysis?

ashpool

Reaction score
Does anyone know any good books for teaching you basics of stock investing. I don't know like those for dummy books, but actual financial analysis, looking at per share earnings, ratios etc.?

Valor

Reaction score
Look at intro textbooks in corp fin, or for more advanced stuff, read hull (options futures derivatives).

speedfreak

Reaction score
Don't look at the "Options, Futures and other Derivatives" by Hull. It will teach you zero about stock valuation.

Instead, have a look at "Investment Valuation" or "Damodaran on Valuation" by Aswath Damodaran, or "Valuation" by Keller. They will be much better teaching about stock/ equity valuation.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Warren Buffet swears by this book.
+1 on Benjamin Graham's books. That one and Security Analysis. For more of an overview or rough guide to the valuation process this one is pretty good. The author is (or was) the Director of Stock Analysis for Morningstar.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was recommended to Stan weinstein ones.

speedfreak

Reaction score
Another good one that is coming to my mind is "Corporate Finance" by Brealy and Myers. It written very well and without too much mathematical fancy.

ashpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Warren Buffet swears by this book.

I'm reading it right now, but I find it too complicated because of my lack of financial background. So I am hoping to read easier books, working my way up to it.

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
+1 on Benjamin Graham's books. That one and Security Analysis.

These are the best I know of, but they can be harder to follow considering they are so old. I'm sure there are pre-owned investment books from college or business schools that would be better suited for a new investor.

Look on NYU, Dartmouth, or MIT websites. Try to find schedules and required books for the class. Then, hit Amazon.

saiyar1

Reaction score
About to start Damodoran's corp finance class this semester, can't wait. Intelligent Investor by Graham should be the first.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't believe the wisdom this book has:

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.