• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a cooking 101 textbook

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While sadly unable to take courses from cantankerous French chefs at prestigious American culinary institutions, I am still interested in upping my game in the kitchen. To date, I've been cooking based on what I learned from my parents and what tastes good intuitively. However, I want to develop my technique and expand my limited repertoire of standards.

To that end, I'm looking for your food book recommendations; searching the forums didn't turn up what I wanted. I'm not looking for just a cookbook full of recipes, but rather something that also explains how to prepare fundamentals, knife skills, which ingredients combine well and why, etc.

I've been doing some of my own research and a few titles have popped up:

The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution by Alice Waters

Cook with Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook by Jamie Oliver

Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan

and of course

Mastering The Art of French Cooking by Julia Child

Thoughts on these? Others? Your experiences as ambitious amateurs?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think that there is any better book for knife skills than http://www.amazon.com/Jacques-Pepins...2435714&sr=8-3 . Alice Waters is great, but she can barely use a knife herself, so using her books would be about ingredients and good, traditional recipes. If you've ever been to her restaurants, you can expect her books to be a bit like them. Mastering is great, but, at least in my opinion, more because it is a cultural icon than a fantastic cookbook. A lot of the recipes strike me as good for the foodstuffs available in the US in the late 60s or early 70s, and the recipes tend to be much heavier than what people eat nowadays. The best cookbook author since Jacques Pepin is James Peterson. His Essentials of Cooking would be a great place to start. There are a lot of pictures of proper knife skills, and the recipes are simple and very good. He is one of the few cookbook writers who seems to get the cooking times right in the book, so you are less likely to end up with disasters as you learn to have a feel for correct doneness. Once you want more, his Fish, Vegetables and Sauces are the absolute best for those particular types of food. He is, in my opinion, miles better than any working chef writing cookbooks. Writing a good one is really a different skill than cooking or running a kitchen, so often the best chefs do not put out the best books. Edit: This is new, and probably great. All his stuff is, and this seems to be his attempt at a cooking bible. http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-James-...2436212&sr=8-1

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem already decided. And quite right you are. But +1 on 'Cooking' by Peterson.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
Try Cooking by James Peterson. It's good enough to teach someone the basics of cooking but should still hold some interest for someone more advanced. It's got a lot of photos of technique, which I think is helpful for some folks.

It is also a stepping stone to his other books (all of which are great) should you want to delve deeper into french cooking, soups, sauces, etc.

edit: apparently, I am late to the game on this recommendation and my reading comprehension skills are missing this morning. Consider me a +1k on this - it's a great, great book.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
You seem already decided. And quite right you are. But +1 on 'Cooking' by Peterson.
I wasn't initially, but it's looking like the forum is unanimous on Peterson. If so, who am I to ignore the recommendation?

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SantosLHalper
It is also a stepping stone to his other books (all of which are great) should you want to delve deeper into french cooking, soups, sauces, etc.

edit: apparently, I am late to the game on this recommendation and my reading comprehension skills are missing this morning. Consider me a +1k on this - it's a great, great book.

Yes, his Sauces book is very comprehensive to say the least, and a good future addition as well.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
Yes, his Sauces book is very comprehensive to say the least, and a good future addition as well.

I read Sauces cover to cover, if you can believe that. Glorious French Food and Fish and Shellfish are both great. Splendid Soups and Vegetables are both a little less necessary, but still good as references.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Thanks for the recommendations. 'Cooking' should arrive in 4-5 days.

I'm a little late to this conversation, but I'll echo the reccomendations of others for "Cooking". The picture layouts showing each step are amazingly helpful. It's far and away my go-to-for-everything cookbook. You chose wisely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads