• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a classic sneaker

tthornell

Reaction score
I am looking for a classic sneaker that goes well with anything. I like White leather Jack Purcells and Puma Roma's, but I have a hard time keeping them white. Thinking about going with classic black sambas. Any opinions or ideas?

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think white sneakers look better when they're not "quite so white", anyway. I'm not a huge fan of black sneakers with dark jeans. Sambas are good, but I like Italias better. Actually, I just ordered a pair of white/blue Romas, but sent them back to Zappos. Guess I didn't like them as much as I thought I would.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Pumas are pretty ubiquitous now, to the point of a classic being unfortunately played out. They're just an "overly safe" sneaker with little style.

Purcells are nice, and you don't need to bother keeping them white. I think shoes look a lot better a little worn and beat up.

If you're still looking for other options, try some of these:

APCxNike Court Tradition
German Army Sneaker
Vans Authentic

They're all pretty simple, slim, streamlined sneakers that aren't overly loud.

truestorytravis

Reaction score
I think Spring Courts have a classic feel; John Lennon wore them. You can see some of them at oipolloi. The white lows are great.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stan Smith Vintage, they are off-white and go well with anything

mischief_1954_4084149

Biggs

Reaction score
Is there still a place to get white, low cut Spring Court G1 in size 43 EURO or 10 US in the US?

modual

Reaction score
Whilst on the subject of spring courts what cut of jeans do they look good with ? I tried some on when i was wearing straight svens and they looked strange though i cant explain why.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by truestorytravis
I think Spring Courts have a classic feel; John Lennon wore them. You can see some of them at oipolloi. The white lows are great.
+1

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66's... at least those in non-garish colors (I have one pair of cream with green stripes and cream with blue stripes). They're classic, but not quite so ubiquitous as Puma, Chucks, or Adidas.

If money is no object, the Jil Sander for Puma classic sneaker is a great take on the classic Puma shoe... sleeker, thinner, better leathers, and not too many people have them. They aren't produced anymore, but pairs pop up on ebay all the time for around $100 or so (original retail was about $275).

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Jack Purcells are perfect imo.

I like the way springcourts look but know nothing of the fit. I am reluctant to buy shoes I can't walk around in before i buy, so you might steer clear unless you are confident or can try a pair on somehow at one of their 2-3 US dealers.

I think Samba's go quite well with anything. I have a pair and wear the hell out of them with jeans, and khakis. It might just be a matter of preference but I think the white on black are classic . The black on white are also very very cool.

The Stan Smith are a good shoe, but the toe bothers me for some reason that I really can pin down. I think it reminds me a little of some bowling shoes I had way back in middle school when SKA was still the ****.

But honestly for the money and the fact they are the undeniable classic shoe white or off white chucks are your best bet. They go with everything and break in to a perfect glove like fit a lot faster than the purcells or other sneakers I've experienced. In high school I wore my high tops until they were talking and they were still the best damn pair of shoes i had. If my mom hadn't thrown them away i'd probably still be wearing them now. I realllly suggest a pair of chucks dude.

robbie

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MikeinSoCal

Reaction score
Try to find some Adidas Sambas in Kangaroo leather.

A california judge recently banned a lot of Adidas products using the kangaroo leather.

Continue to perpetuate the outlaw motif my friend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads