• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London Wine, Women and Shoes

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just returned from a week long business and pleasure trip to London. I've spent a lot of time in London but this was my first visit in about seven years and my first business trip.

Yesterday I found myself wandering from one end of Jermyn street to the other. This is a five minute walk but I stopped at just about every shop...about a 3 hour stroll. As has been noted here, the current unfavorable US exchange rate magnifies the expense of the goods for sale. N&L had beautiful shirts for $66 but they were picked over and I didn't care for what was left in my size. There were no other sales and I didn't buy anything of note.

I did speak to a lot of people about shoe pricing and quality. Without naming names, the general consensus seems to be that Lobb is overpriced for the quality delivered. The curve in the hockey stick in terms of price and quality seemed to be C&J...in particular the hand grades which most people felt were every bit as good as lobb and green. I considered a trip up to manchester but in the end, didn't want to spend a day (and the expense) of the trip.

The women in London are lovely. I work in NYC where we have no shortage of beautiful women but the London women on the whole seem more fit, dress better, have a better understanding of how to apply makeup and wear tighter, more suggestive clothing. And of course, there's that great accent.

I'm happy to report that the food in London has improved 100%. The Indian food is already better than we have in NYC. If it improves another 100% and prices (or exchange rates) fall about 30%, it could rival NYC...perhaps thats not fair...maybe the top restaurants would have to improve 50% but the shear breadth of great NYC restaurants and ethnic food s hard to match. I did taste something that was pretty close to a croissant (and something that looked like a bagel.) Had very, very good fish and chips in a restaurant...here's something that I don't understand, London is fairly close to brussels...and paris, two of the great french fry cities of the world and they still serve these hard, tasteless fries.

The wine lists I saw were better priced and more interesting than most NYC restaurants. We did eat at a top Indian restaurant ($104/pp prix fixe, thank god it was expensed) and the wine list, while interesting, was a poor match for the fare. And I noticed that the beer is now cold...how odd...when did that happen?

Omegablogger

Reaction score
>The curve in the hockey stick in terms of price and quality seemed to be C&J.

I'd agree with that in so far as I think their benchgrades are the best bang for buck in the English shoe world.

>in particular the hand grades which most people felt were every bit as good as lobb and green.

I'd strongly disagree with that, I don't think the handgrades are even in the same ball park as EG and Lobb.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, perhaps it was sour grapes, but I was speaking to people with many years of experience in the business. And one of the guys who owns a shoe store in london said he noticed that his lobbs looked an awful lot like c&j, he said he called the c&j factory, gave them the last number and they said it was their shoe, made for lobb. He said he had C&J refurbish the shoe rather than lobb and saved a lot of money.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was there last week too and did the exact same stroll down Jermyn street. Man, was everything expensive. I ended up buying nothing, but having an amazing time.

About the girls, did you happen to see or talk to the cute blonde girl with the Star tattoos at the C&J store? Cutest girl ever.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bloody accent totally slays me...I must go to London.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads