• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake Sizing/quality

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if loake 1880's run long? I'm thinking of buying two pairs of them from CT and am trying to figure out sizing. Also i don't have the 50% off for first time customers link if someone could provide it.

How are loakes in terms of quality? Are they similar to AE better or worse?

arkirshner

Reaction score
To compare apples to apples  I just put on my AE Park Avenues US size 7 1/2 D  and Loake calf  cap tow oxfords Uk size 7 F from CT. On my foot both are adequate in lengh the AE about 1/4 inch longer.  In  width  The AE pushes up against my little toe whereast  the Loak is slightly wider and does not press up against my toe. As a result in appearance the AE is slightly slimmer.                                     The cap on the AE is closer to the  toe than the Loake which gives the AE a slimmer appearance on the other hand the larger cap on the Loake gives it the appearance of being more substantial.  This is simply a matter of taste and the size of your foot should be a factor in which you prefer .                                   The leather on the AE vamp is softer and more flexible than the Loake though that in not to say there is any meaningful difference felt when wearing them although more sensitive feet may beg to differ.   I would give an overall edge to AE but in terms of value per $ the CT Loakes at 50% off are a bargain.  Be certain to get the calf.  The non calf are not 1880s.  The site is  http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/twill

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for you post and comparing shoes. I know the AE 5 last runs long, as i just order a pair in the same last so that makes comparrison easy. I have a narrow foot and was thinking of downsizing because all that is available is medium width at the website. The reason i asked on quality is that i can get any AE, Alden, Magnanni, Magli, and Toschi at half off and AE has the most styles and i'm thinking of getting an alden SC shoe.

Oh thanks for the link too.

Any others comments?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E Park Avenue 10D fits perfect on me. 9.5UK F fitting Loak fits little large. I would go full size down.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE Park Avenue 10D fits perfect on me.  9.5UK F fitting Loak fits little large.  I would go full size down.
so your saying size down from a 9d US to a 8D UK?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When comparing to AE's 5 last, some people may wish to drop a full size. Otherwise, I'd recommend a half size drop, which is what works for me.

benchan

Reaction score
Loake's leather quality is horrible. If you pick colours other than balck, don't expect it will age beautifully.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Benchan, I assume you're referring to the non-1880's Loakes, which are mostly corrected-grain leather. Not nice. However, the 1880's stuff is actually a pretty nice calf, and mine have taken very nice antiqing and are looking great so far. Now, they're not as nice as AE or Alden, but still quite nice.

benchan

Reaction score
Teacher, mine was the Exeter model which should be from the Since 1880 line. I choose the Tan colour, maybe yours are dark brown instead?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope, mine are the tan (chestnut) also. This might be an example of sample variation and/or quality control issue.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found that i had to size down a full size on the AE 5 last from a 10C to a 9D.

So basically your saying that if i can get AE for the same price and most non SC aldens i'm better off?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Demis,

What I am saying is from AE's Park Avenue, I would go full size down with Loake 1881. So if you wear size 9US D Park Ave, I would get size 8 UK F fitting.

billiebob

Reaction score
I also went down a full size. I wear an 11D alden and the 10F Tyrwhitt fits great. They are pretty snug, but they will surely loosen up a bit over the next couple of months.

caledoniasoul2

Reaction score
returned mine to CT last week-the loakes run a bit wider then a US D....

arkirshner

Reaction score
I found that i had to size down a full size on the AE 5 last from a 10C to a 9D.  

So basically your saying that if i can get AE for the same price and most non SC aldens i'm
better off?

]
Absolutely.  If you can get AE and Alden for so little consider  yourself one of the lucky ones.  Take advantage of the opportunity to build up a shoe collection for life.  Then as you grow older you will have more $$ for the important thing in life like _. (fill  in the blank yourself)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads