• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cranster63

Reaction score
Seems Loake are making changes. I tried to buy Chesters in burgundy, no luck the colour is discontinued, what a shame. Then I chose Aldwych in brown dainite and same story, so I settled for the Aldwych mahogany, but I am not in love with this colour at all.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems Loake are making changes. I tried to buy Chesters in burgundy, no luck the colour is discontinued, what a shame. Then I chose Aldwych in brown dainite and same story, so I settled for the Aldwych mahogany, but I am not in love with this colour at all.

If it's not a rude question, why did you buy a pair of shoes that you didn't like? Yours, Munky

cranster63

Reaction score
If it's not a rude question, why did you buy a pair of shoes that you didn't like? Yours, Munky
Not rude at all, it's a very sensible question. I am a mum buying shoes for my two boys, well men now. I chose the shoes, they chose the colours. Instead of the Chesters I chose some Carlos Santos Split toe derby and they are absolutely beautiful, so happy with them.

MSC_5535.JPG

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not rude at all, it's a very sensible question. I am a mum buying shoes for my two boys, well men now. I chose the shoes, they chose the colours. Instead of the Chesters I chose some Carlos Santos Split toe derby and they are absolutely beautiful, so happy with them.

View attachment 1009998

Carlos Santos make beautiful shoes. I have three pairs and one pair is the favourite of my collection.

I hope your sons are pleased with their shoes. In terms of quality, you can't go wrong with Loake's or CS.

Very best wishes
Munky

BXpress

Reaction score
Eden from the 1880 line with rubber sole. Advertised as mahogany but more like cognac. Anyway, quite decent shoes and visibly casual (which i was looking for), well suited for jeans and chinos.

EDEN1.jpg

Eden2.jpg

Eden3.jpg

Eden4.jpg

Eden5.jpg

cranster63

Reaction score
Advertised as mahogany but more like cognac.
I also received a very light version of mahogany, nothing like the images on the net, more like tan. So I did my own patina work with some darker polishes which was a bit scary with brand new shoes, but it turned out okay. You can see the original colour on the inside corner of the tongue. .
MSC_6114.JPG
MSC_6110.JPG

BXpress

Reaction score
I also received a very light version of mahogany, nothing like the images on the net, more like tan. So I did my own patina work with some darker polishes which was a bit scary with brand new shoes, but it turned out okay. You can see the original colour on the inside corner of the tongue. . View attachment 1036411 View attachment 1036412

Now that is some contrast. Looks like a total paint job.

Yeah i was a bit scared to apply my medium brown too. Seemed quite a bit darker than the shoes, but i guess it has more to do with how you apply it. As long as you don't slap a fat blob of cream on them and keep the layers thin you'll be fine. People who wonder why they get dark spots on their shoes after treating them should check their technique.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also received a very light version of mahogany, nothing like the images on the net, more like tan. So I did my own patina work with some darker polishes which was a bit scary with brand new shoes, but it turned out okay. You can see the original colour on the inside corner of the tongue. . View attachment 1036411 View attachment 1036412

I’m fairly sure my mahogany Aldwych were a similar colour from new to how yours are after the patina work.

Must have been very light.

They’ve turned out very nice though.

cranster63

Reaction score
I didn't strip them back first as I was just going to do one coat, but getting uniformity proved difficult & more & more layers went on. BXpress - I agree you must apply thin layers quickly, no blobs. I use Saphir creams which sink into the leather fast so if you apply too thick & uneven you just get ugly streaks. I top off with Saphir mirror gloss.
Reiver - Thankyou. Yes I think I was just unlucky to get a light copy. They are very nice shoes anyway.

BXpress

Reaction score
I am seriously considering the Hanover from the Export Grade as my go to higher end Black Cap Toes. I was planning to buy AS Armfield but as much as i love the waist and the slightly higher heel, the ball round toe looks a bit boring to me. Hanover seems super sleek and it seems the front soles are now nicely even on the ground (which is always good), unlike the 1880s line. Does anyone have the Hanover and how is the quality compared to C&J Connaught, Armfield, Cheaney?

BXpress

Reaction score
Hanovers look very nice, interesting to see the difference between 1880's & Export Grade.

Indeed a whole different league. The Aldwych is a good beater, but i hate the upwards curve on the sole (toe). One can argue that the leather quality is not up to par (and it isn't) but my biggest issue with Aldwych is the rather uninspiring last. Same with Cheaney Lime. They look boring, especially in black calf. But i appreciate them for what they are.

EUtroll

Reaction score
I am seriously considering the Hanover from the Export Grade as my go to higher end Black Cap Toes. I was planning to buy AS Armfield but as much as i love the waist and the slightly higher heel, the ball round toe looks a bit boring to me. Hanover seems super sleek and it seems the front soles are now nicely even on the ground (which is always good), unlike the 1880s line. Does anyone have the Hanover and how is the quality compared to C&J Connaught, Armfield, Cheaney?

I don't own any shoes from the export range, I find them to be a bit too pointy, but was very impressed by the supple leather when I tried them out.

BXpress

Reaction score
I don't own any shoes from the export range, I find them to be a bit too pointy, but was very impressed by the supple leather when I tried them out.

Would you say they come off even pointier in real life than they do on pictures? I find the oval toes to be acceptable (on pictures that is).

EUtroll

Reaction score
Would you say they come off even pointier in real life than they do on pictures? I find the oval toes to be acceptable (on pictures that is).
In UK 11, yes, but that's quite often the case with bigger sizes across the manufactures. Something with the proportions that seem difficult to get right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads