• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting. I have never heard of the clover before. Just read about it. I will give it a try, but I have never been too thrilled with Starbucks roasting.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^get a french press or aeropress and some quality beans
i wish they had the clover system everywhere. i go to a starbucks to steal wifi and all i can get is bitter overroasted drip coffee

:lol: used to steal their att wifi, until I got my own. Now I'm going there for their coffee. Beware: their coffee is strong.

After following and reading about coffee, I've started to drink some coffee black.
McD still requires cream and sugar though. :embar:

That's how I got started too. I'm really getting into brewing my own, and finding that perfect recipe.

Here's a video of a Clover in action:
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
It's funny how when you order one at Starbucks, they make sure to tell you that it will take 2 or 3 minutes.
This is a pretty good article on the Clover (yes, there are words after that first picture, just scroll down):
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/magazine/16-08/mf_clover?currentPage=all

Wow, that is too cool.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dont mind strong coffee, but this is just way too unbalanced. opposite extreme spectrum from seattle's best (underroasted, underextracted, highly acidic). i feel like the biggest reason why starbucks was so successful is because they appeal to the no milk and no sugar -> more bitter is better (backlash/pretentious hipster) mentality. i also feel that the third wave is either a passing over or informed reaction to that mentality (backlash to the backlash/hipster hating hipster)

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did my first ever mail order for beans instead of dropping by Blue Bottle's Oakland roastery on the way to work. Decided to try Verve The Sermon espresso (Streetlevel was sold out at the time) this week since they are in California and it took only a day via USPS from Santa Cruz to my house. Would like to try Gimme at some point but their shipping doubles the costs ($10+) and they use UPS Ground so it would take a week or so. The Sermon is a little too fruity/tangy for my tastes but overall not bad. Still prefer BB's 17 Ft Ceiling but might try Streetlevel next when I get through the 12 oz of the Sermon. Pics below of the beans, grind and pull....

img0415mv.jpg

img0418jk.jpg

img0421hs.jpg

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i dont mind strong coffee, but this is just way too unbalanced. opposite extreme spectrum from seattle's best (underroasted, underextracted, highly acidic). i feel like the biggest reason why starbucks was so successful is because they appeal to the no milk and no sugar -> more bitter is better (backlash/pretentious hipster) mentality. i also feel that the third wave is either a passing over or informed reaction to that mentality (backlash to the backlash/hipster hating hipster)

that's a good assessment.

I don't like coffee without sugar or creamer, am I missing out on something? Isn't coffee "supposed" to be had black? For about 10 oz of coffee, I like to use one splenda, and creamer until the coffee gets that light brown color. I don't have that refined taste for distinguishing acidity, aroma, and boldness, but I just know how I like it.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For a long time I would constantly try to balance sugar and milk to get it to taste the way I wanted and then it became apparent that the taste I was going for is just that of good quality black coffee. It was quite funny and amazing all at once. The whole milk and sugar thing is forced into our culture so much you think you need it, but really you don't if you find a coffee/method you like the flavor of.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the morning I have two cups of coffee -- the first black, the second with cream.

When it comes to cream, I despise anything less than full table cream (18% mf) :censored:

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For a long time I would constantly try to balance sugar and milk to get it to taste the way I wanted and then it became apparent that the taste I was going for is just that of good quality black coffee. It was quite funny and amazing all at once. The whole milk and sugar thing is forced into our culture so much you think you need it, but really you don't if you find a coffee/method you like the flavor of.

How'd you get from liking one to the other? :lol: that's a completely different preference in taste. Interesting, I thought the whole creamer (or milk) and sugar deal was just because the taste of black coffee is too harsh (at least for me).

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PB, what's up man, are you going through some sort of avatar identification crisis?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How'd you get from liking one to the other? :lol: that's a completely different preference in taste. Interesting, I thought the whole creamer (or milk) and sugar deal was just because the taste of black coffee is too harsh (at least for me).

Well, it was almost like I was weaning off. I only put a touch of milk and some sugar, then it was less sugar and I was still not satisfied. Then I was like like hmm, maybe it is too sweet and it was just milk and when I got rid of the milk finally I was like, oh the mimlk was adding that bad taste I was trying to get rid of!

PB, what's up man, are you going through some sort of avatar identification crisis?

Yes, the Martini was fun for a day. Homage to Harvey_Birdman..

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Some of it is developing sophistication of taste, like going from mixed drinks to straight liquor. The other big part is that most people drink godawful coffee prepared in horrible ways, so they need to add a bunch of cream and sugar to make it palatable. I never "got" coffee until I started playing around with brewing it myself.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Sermon is a little too fruity/tangy for my tastes but overall not bad. Still prefer BB's 17 Ft Ceiling but might try Streetlevel next when I get through the 12 oz of the Sermon.

Thanks for the pics! BB does roast their espresso a bit darker than other boutique roasters, but nowhere near as dark as say Peet's. I think you'll find Streetlevel is still a bit more acidic than BB, but maybe you'll like it? In general, you may want to find a darker roast blend if you don't like the tanginess.

Another interesting idea may be to slightly dilute your espresso. For example, pull a 1-oz ristretto, and then add 1 oz of water afterwards to make a normal espresso. It works for drip brew methods to make them less acidic and sweeter, but I'm not sure what it will do to an espresso pull.

I've been drinking the Verve Geisha from Lajones this past weekend, mostly brewed on the Clever Coffee Dripper, and it's the sweetest, smoothest coffee I've had in a while --- some people may find it too understated. There are some interesting spice notes in it as well. I'm not sure it's worth the crazy price it sold for, but it is a very high quality coffee.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think the first time i 'got' coffee was when i had a really good cup of coffee. after a few of those i kind of understood what kind of coffee i didnt like. i used to drink a lot of seattle's best when i didnt know anything and every time i got it i thought it was too sour. i found french roasts didnt have any of those sour notes and started drinking those and then i found gimmee coffee and that was kind of a revelation.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was pissed, my local cafe serves Stumptown and they asked me why I didn't buy their new Panama roast yet. I told them I didn't know anything about it. They were keeping it behind the counter in this fancy jar. It was $105 for 12oz. Of course I would have gotten it but now it is about 2 weeks past roast date. I was like, wtf? If you told me about it two weeks ago you KNOW I would have gotten it. I settled for the two day past roast date Kenya Kangunu. I like how they label it "Grand Cru". :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads