• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal advice, is it illegal to post a bad review about a company? Or vent about them

neptune76

Reaction score
... on the internet?

So I have had horrible luck with this online jacket company. They sent me jacket 1 a year and half ago and it had a very bad flaw. I won't mention specifics. A month later I got the replacement, jacket 2 and it too had a couple bad flaws but I kept it because I was sick of waiting. Fast forward to today, I gave them another shot and I got jacket 3 and it too had an awful flaw. Not only that but it was someone else's returned jacket (I know because I know the person who originally had it). Obviously the quality control is freaking awful. I vented about it but didn't say anything derogatory really at all. The owner messaged me and was pissed about me venting and threatened legal action. Specifically he said

"You like a lot of people think you can say what ever you wish about a company... and vent all you want ... I forward everything I read to our Law Firm and now and then some folks have to pay for their mitakes.. Just a word to the wise for any of your future out burst.. "

After I get a refund I still want to post a bad review about the company. An unbiased review, but still negative. Is this illegal? How can he possibly bring me to court for posting a review about actual factual experiences? I think it's important I speak up and do so and warn other potential buyers that there is a serious quality control issue here.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Yelp had this problem awhile back. you might want to see what happened over there.

neptune76

Reaction score
I think if I word it like I had really bad luck but don't say any thing general about their quality they can't do anything. I'll even say good stuff but just say quality issues keep me from buying again.

DBoon

Reaction score
I think you are only in trouble for libel if what you are saying is false

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Hahahaha the guy is completely full of ****. Review away.

This.

***This post does not constitute legal advice in anyway.***

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Be honest and u will be fine. The guy is full of ****.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's hilarious, you should tell us the company. Oh, and hopefully you aren't in England - I don't know much about it, but I have a feeling it's easier to sue for libel there.

videocrew

Reaction score
In America, truth is a defense to libel. Other countries have more restrictive speech laws.

*I am not a lawyer*

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by z7f9q
That's hilarious, you should tell us the company. Oh, and hopefully you aren't in England - I don't know much about it, but I have a feeling it's easier to sue for libel there.
It is. In England, the burden of proof rests on the defendant, whose statements are presumed false and who has to establish that they are true. As you may know, in the United States, the plaintiff, or accuser, must prove that the statement in question was false; public officials must also prove that it was made maliciously, with “reckless disregard” for the truth. It's actually a huge problem in England and people are fighting to have the laws changed over there.

neptune76

Reaction score
After I get a refund I will post the review here. The sad truth is they ARE great jackets but everyone I've gotten was flawed.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's certainly not "illegal", in that it is not a criminal offense. It may give rise to a civil suit if he can prove defamation, but as others have said truth is a defense in such cases.

If you get a letter from his attorney it just means he has hired an unscrupulous attorney to send out legally deficient cease and desist letters. Report him to the ethics board and then sue him for harassment.

I am a Pennsylvania lawyer, and would be happy to refer you to a local bar association for a referral if you get any nonsense from this guy or his piece of crap attorney. These kind of deceitful actions bring dishonour on our already beleaguered profession. Destroy them both.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
It is. In England, the burden of proof rests on the defendant, whose statements are presumed false and who has to establish that they are true.

As you may know, in the United States, the plaintiff, or accuser, must prove that the statement in question was false; public officials must also prove that it was made maliciously, with "reckless disregard" for the truth.

It's actually a huge problem in England and people are fighting to have the laws changed over there.

That's terrible, I had a feeling that was the case, but I didn't want to be the one to say it.

I recall it got a lot of publicity after a scientist (journalist?) got sued for saying that homeopathic medicine was bunk, or something like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads