• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather shoe care without polish?

JimmyT

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Normally I find my answers via searching the forums, and, while I'm sure it has been covered before, my search abilities are failing me.

I recently purchased a pair of Alden Kudu Chukkas http://www.aldenshoes.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=66

These appear to be a boot that are intended to look unpolished.
I know the routine for normal leather shoe care involves using cream and/or polish but I'm wondering what steps I should take to care for these boots?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
--JT

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saddle soap? Or just conditioner?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wipe dirt and dust off with a slightly damp rag. Wipe dry, apply cleaner/conditioner product (AE makes a good one).

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JimmyT

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
--JT

Only using cream. No polishing for maintenance.

To waterproof take 'matt' (without shining).

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Alden recommends no care at all for the kudu chukkas. They shouldn't dry out much, but if they do, apply some Neat's Foot Oil. And that's it.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead
Alden recommends no care at all for the kudu chukkas. They shouldn't dry out much, but if they do, apply some Neat's Foot Oil. And that's it.

Out of curiousity, why neatsfoot oil for something that is probably not going to dry out that much, and isn't being constantly used? I understand it for saddles or hunting boots that are used hard for a number of years and then replaced, but just for shoes over the long haul? Seems problematic.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JimmyT
Is the occasional Lexol application viable then?

--JT

Overkill IMHO, but just use less if you're dead set on it.

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Out of curiousity, why neatsfoot oil for something that is probably not going to dry out that much, and isn't being constantly used? I understand it for saddles or hunting boots that are used hard for a number of years and then replaced, but just for shoes over the long haul? Seems problematic.
I think Alden expects these particular shoes to be used/treated like hunting boots or saddles, more or less. Again, the basic recommedation is "no care at all". If the shoes do happen to get a little dry after awhile, then use Neat's, but Alden's expectation is that even this won't be necessary.

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Oil tanned leathers like your boots take a special kind of cream conditioner that is different than the standard leather lotion cream conditioner used on smooth leathers.

Kiwi makes a product called Oil Tanned Leather cleaner, that works quite well on oil tanned leathers.

I have also used some creme polish on oil tanned boots to make the toes look less"splotchy", as they may get "kicked out" after some wear. I just dab on a tiny bit of cream polish and wipe it right off. It darkens the toe splotches quite nicely.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A-E's Aqua-Care Shoe Cream in brown might be a good choice for these shoes as it could not only nourish the leather but apply some color to scuffed areas.

I have a holster in kudu hide but no experience with shoes made from this leather. Those Alden chukkas look very "safari-ish."

well-kept

Reaction score
The best conditioner I have found is Meltonian All-Purpose Cleaner and Conditioner. Works beautifully, dries quickly, no sticky residue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads