• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, all my jackets are rather tight. I like it better that way. I also have some that are not quite so tight. With those I can layer something underneath.

Do you get mostly custom made jackets? Do you add shoulder gussets so the jackets are more moveable?

MrProper

Reaction score
Do you get mostly custom made jackets? Do you add shoulder gussets so the jackets are more moveable?

My leather jackets are all custom made. Either completely or base size extended and tapered.
Shoulder gussets I have only on 2 jackets. With two other footballs / armpit gussets. All others do fine without. For what I do when I wear leather jackets, it all works well.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up going to the Schott factory sale yesterday and it was actually worth it.

There were a good number of high end jackets in the 'minor blemishes' section at massive discounts. There's one I regret passing on, but I had my eye on one particular jacket model (didn't want to get a near-enough similar one) so I bought that one from their factory stock, at a big discount. I also bought a ton of sweaters to give as gifts.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My leather jackets are all custom made. Either completely or base size extended and tapered.
Shoulder gussets I have only on 2 jackets. With two other footballs / armpit gussets. All others do fine without. For what I do when I wear leather jackets, it all works well.

cool man. BTW do you have a favorite leather and or maker combo?

D-A-I

Reaction score
Field Leathers Route 66 with customized collar. Brown Shinki leather.
View attachment 1687033

Looks great, that's sorta the fit I was going for with my Five Star trucker but ended up running a little larger than expected. When you order custom jackets, do you usually provide your physical measurements, or the adjusted measurements that the final jacket is intended to have?

MrProper

Reaction score
cool man. BTW do you have a favorite leather and or maker combo?
I still lack too many manufacturers to make a statement.
Previously I have worn various no names, fashion leather and motorcycle jackets (eg Hein Gericke) and then an Aero CR. Then a few years only fabric, until I came back to leather. But then I got stuck with Aero again. In addition, the Field Leathers (which is really top of workmanship)). My numerous FiveStar jackets are to try out. Are not expensive, are delivered quickly and I can have everything made according to my ideas. Goat and shearling are top and the workmanship also. Ideal to bridge the waiting times of the well-known manufacturers. Next week my racing jacket from Lewis leathers should be delivered. I am still considering Vanson and Thedi.

MrProper

Reaction score
Looks great, that's sorta the fit I was going for with my Five Star trucker but ended up running a little larger than expected. When you order custom jackets, do you usually provide your physical measurements, or the adjusted measurements that the final jacket is intended to have?
I always give the measurements of the jacket including every detail I can think of. Many photos with lines and measurements. The body measurements are certainly always interpreted differently, even more so if the manufacturer does not know how it was measured.

Unsubscr1ber

Reaction score
Sizing wise for those who’ve had the 5 zip, do they find it fits TTS? I’ve got broad shoulders anyways so I usually can’t size down lol

In case this is a helpful reference, here is my 2015 5-zip in heavy calf with quilted lining and blackout zippers, size 48 on a 39" chest and I'm 6'1". The jacket's shoulder width measures 18" and mine (acromion to acromion) is approximately 17". Apologies for the minimal contrast between jacket and shirt. I’d returned a size 50 because, in that instance, it added length and shoulder width but nothing in the chest and fell awkwardly on my hips. I've owed a number of 5-zips and each has fit (vastly) differently and conveyed a very different style, independent of the expected piece-to-piece variances and leather type, as others have mentioned.

This 2015 version is more structured by virtue of its thickness than the other models I've owned and, in my opinion, wouldn't lend itself to sizing up – so just keep in mind that the variability @dieworkwear is referencing makes a big difference and I recommend trial before committal. If I had my druthers, I'd add an inch to the chest and waist for comfort if ever zipped (a rarity) but it works in a (literal) pinch.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads