• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw, had the opportunity and pleasure to try (and buy if I wanted) a Fine Creek Leathers Leon Custom yesterday in size 42, something I've been wanting to do for a while now.

And it fit great. But as soon as I saw myself in a mirror I knew it wasn't for me. One of the nicest leathers I've seen yet, but it just didn't feel right to me. Like I looked try-hard or something. As I'm getting older I'm coming to accept that lambskin and softer leathers wear better on my physique. So it's not so much the style in this specific case, but the combo of tough-as-**** horsehide and double rider. So I passed on buying it. But yeah, 42 was a great fit for me.

Now ... for my next trick, I'm eyeing the Eric model in 42. I've worn (and bought twice in 38 and 40, but ultimately need a 42) the Raymond model which is a close cousin with button wrist cuffs that don't go very narrow at all, so I'm hoping the Eric may be what I'm into nowadays, which is a more mature, less bling-y leather with zip cuffs and a collar to change things up.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my Schott 654 I bought back on Halloween of 2014. I love the look and was debating between a cafe racer or a motorcycle jacket. Not sure if everyone can pull off all the bells and whistles of a moto jacket. I think the cafe racer has a more neutral look and now that I have hit my 40s I feel like it has longer lasting style.

View attachment 1931403

Definitely a nice looking jacket and I think you look great in it, though I do think it’s unfortunate that people treat motorcycle jackets (whether cross- or straight-zip models) as the default sort of leather jacket. (To be clear, this isn’t in response to you or your jacket, just riffing there).

I own several motorcycle jackets myself, but in most situations a different kind of leather jacket works better. It’s kind of narrowed the scope of what could be a lot of very cool garments. One of my favorites lately has a bit of a more rugged outdoorsy model, with a Western feel (though muted by being black goat rather than suede or something). Dresses up or down if you want, can be flashy or eye catching depending on how you choose to wear it.

Question: Knowing it's a Schott and from what little I can see on the pic, I'm guessing the cuffs are not that slim?

I’ve never encountered that with Schott, including button cuff non-riding models. The zipped/fastened sleeves get very snug; Vanson is more snug but so much so that I find it a bit useless outside of motorcycling. (Those super tight cuffs are to make it easier to pull gloves over.)

Certainly nothing like the Fine Creek situation.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

**shudders**

DSC_0161_41.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 7.45.55 PM.png

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I struggle to understand the audience for these massive zipped cuffs that FCL is so keen on. And I'm scared to think just how big they are when unzipped–a pant leg?

Not following what massive zipped cuffs are referring to?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not following what massive zipped cuffs are referring to?

Most FCL jackets with zipped cuffs have massive cuffs even when they’re fully zipped. Understatesman posted an example of the FCL Vanson copy and CHP jacket right above, I posted the FCL Lewis Leathers copy earlier, which has the same thing.

It’s clearly a deliberate design decision. I just can’t for the life of me figure out why anyone would want it, since the whole point of cuff zips is to give you the option to wear the cuff loose, when unzipped or snug, when zipped.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, the FCL Roberts cuffs in size 38 worked for me quite well. The rest, not so much. The size 40, however, was like wearing a hefty trash bag, even in the wrists. The size difference was insane and the tube body and arms were fully on display. I think @sinnedk experienced the same thing when he tried it on.

Here was my 38 and 40 in the Roberts.

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 2.19.46 AM.png

Also, both Raymonds in size 38 and 40 wrists were good. Although strangely enough the size 38 had larger measurements in some areas.

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 11.21.58 PM.png

Last edited:

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, the FCL Roberts cuffs in size 38 worked for me quite well. The rest, not so much. The size 40, however, was like wearing a hefty trash bag. The size difference was insane and the tube body and arms were fully on display. I think @sinnedk experienced the same thing when he tried it on.

Here was my 38.

View attachment 1931807

Also, both Raymonds in size 38 and 40 wrists were good. Although strangely enough the size 38 had larger measurements in some areas.

View attachment 1931809

This is the thing about FCL. Their jackets are simultaneously undersized and oversized. I assume their pattern maker just has no idea what he’s doing.

With some of these expensive Japanese makes like RMC, TMC, BR, FW I can see what makes their product more ‘premium’, even if the patterning of them doesn’t work for me in many cases. (In many cases I think the fancy construction techniques are actually a negative but that’s a side thing.) I have rarely seen someone in an FCL who wouldn’t look better in the Western jacket it’s copying.

IMO patterning trumps every other aspect of a leather jacket. But in fairness I’ll say this for non leather clothes as well.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, if anyone’s after a cafe racer jacket, the Vanson Comet (armored edition) is at half price right now. An absolute bargain.

As usual, Vanson site photos are terrible but I picked up a Comet lately (my first Vanson) and it is the most flattering cut I’ve worn on a leather jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads