• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want V shaped, instead of slim-straight, just get the Aero cafe racer. Most of the above are straight cuts.

MrProper

Reaction score
Aero cafe racer. The pattern is v shaped, but unfortunately has flat shoulders. That is, if the jacket fits exactly, it has vertical folds from neck to armpit. Therefore the weight of the jacket is on the neck and not on the shoulders. One size bigger and it is a little better. For my body shape not the best pattern.
3BD6B99F-85F6-4C21-AD3D-CB4255ADE14E.jpeg

MrProper

Reaction score
Schott 141xJS and 641xx both looks good, maybe I should forget about the side pocket thing...

edit: on the rest I forgo (especially 660) because the flat chest pocket (I prefer the slanted)
Do you actually use the side pockets? For my CR jackets, I have partially removed the side pockets from the configuration when ordering.
I find that they look cleaner then.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want V shaped, instead of slim-straight, just get the Aero cafe racer. Most of the above are straight cuts.
will check out

Aero cafe racer. The pattern is v shaped, but unfortunately has flat shoulders. That is, if the jacket fits exactly, it has vertical folds from neck to armpit. Therefore the weight of the jacket is on the neck and not on the shoulders. One size bigger and it is a little better. For my body shape not the best pattern.
View attachment 1729844
good to know

Do you actually use the side pockets? For my CR jackets, I have partially removed the side pockets from the configuration when ordering.
I find that they look cleaner then.
definitely cleaner without side pockets, just think it's harder to be practical without side pocket (whether to put things in or as hand warmer)

edit: I suppose if I carry nothing but an iphone then it doesn't matter...

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
will check out

good to know

definitely cleaner without side pockets, just think it's harder to be practical without side pocket (whether to put things in or as hand warmer)

edit: I suppose if I carry nothing but an iphone then it doesn't matter...
All my cafe racers have been J100 based and therefore had no hand warmers. The latest vintage Vanson acquisition has hand warmers and I use them. Lack of pockets may look cleaner but I like this version with pockets.

MrProper

Reaction score
You say that, but it still looks great on you.
Thank you very much. That's because it's two sizes too big (I probably used to be beefier lol). With a layer underneath it was ok. Unfortunately for my low rise jeans clearly too short. Have therefore sold them.

Same pattern but three sizes smaller and with gussets:
6F1B650F-E43C-4CBF-8675-78C9D0DF91EA.jpeg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It helps when you're built like a superhero, though. Clearly this dude is in shape and the V cut accentuates that.

Me and my beer gut wouldn't get the same effect.

I talked to Carrie from Thurston brothers about this, when I was looking to get an extremely V-shaped jacket (10 inch or so drop); she said unless your chest is at least 44", it would end up looking sloppy. She pushed me toward getting the same design on a J-100 (slim-straight) pattern. Owning the jacket, she was totally right.

At the same time, I like the milder V-shape of my 613SH (about half the drop of the jacket I was looking at).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1729844
Mine has very squared away shoulders as well, but I’ve found v that when it’s worn in, the weight falls well distributed through the back and shoulders. It does taper quite a bit, and even if you don’t have a deep v shape, at least you need some thickness through the delts to wear it reasonably well.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you guys with your 10 drop! I'm 7 drop on a good day and maybe 8 from long long time ago...

Well the thing about that massive drop wasn't that the wearer was assumed to be shaped like Mr Proper (who actually has one); those old motorcycle jackets were intentionally oversized, even slouchy at the top, then sharply tapered to a waist narrower than today's slim jackets of the same size.

To me this is a lot like the sharply waisted 40s suits– only, unlike a suit coat, a leather riding jacket ends at the waist instead of coming back out as a wider skirt.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur