• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
Yes, in so far as they just happen to be striken by inspiration not at all dissimilar to that of Freewheelers’.

Edit: Seeing how Mulholland is not a repro of anything, inspiration is all there is to it.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the color almost oxblood/cordovan rather than brown?

That may be those pictures or maybe it does look more oxblood in the sun. I'll have to drag it outside and see.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So in winter 2021, FCL is gonna bring us their plagi... eh, I mean, "hommage" of Freewheelers Mulholland:

View attachment 1398454

That's really questionable in my books but since brands like Addict and Fine Creek have devout followers around these parts, I leave it at that.

Lol

I mean freewheelers designs are repros of 1930s-50s leather jackets. None of these brands is a design innovator....

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And yeah it is a repro the only thing different than actually 1930s jackets is the zipper. Lol

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, in so far as they just happen to be striken by inspiration not at all dissimilar to that of Freewheelers’.

Edit: Seeing how Mulholland is not a repro of anything, inspiration is all there is to it.

Not sure that's true. I think there were a few makers in the 1930s who made that design. Here's one from Levi's

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which jacket is it a repro of? You are the first one to claim this and since I'm not as well-versed on the myriad vintage models as many here, I'm genuinely interested. Thanks.

See the above post by dww

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
Not sure that's true. I think there were a few makers in the 1930s who made that design. Here's one from Levi's

That’s a very nice Levi but looks to me more like a working-man’s jacket inspired by the police leathers of the era, rather than something you could honestly say Freewheelers is reproducing in the modern day.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That’s a very nice Levi but looks to me more like a working-man’s jacket inspired by the police leathers of the era, rather than something you could honestly say Freewheelers is reproducing in the modern day.

I'm not sure what you mean, but the designs are pretty darn close. This is an original Levi's jacket from the 1930s. Whether it's also inspired by police leathers, I have no idea.

Levi's on the left; Freewheelers on the right.

Untitled.png

I'm not saying that Freewheelers intended their model to be a repro. I'm just saying that a zip-up jacket with a slanted chest pocket and fold down collar isn't that unusual. It's a classic 1930s design.

I have a potato for a phone, but here's a cell phone shot of an Aero from the 1970s. Similar design without the band at the bottom.

IMG_0263.JPG

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
It’s a design inspired by motorbike police jackets of 1930’s, much like that Levi looks to be (since Levi’s company never supplied the police force, for the best of my limited knowledge). Up until now, no one seems to have been inspired by those designs in a manner identical to Freewheelers’, right down to the cool but very impractical ballchain zipper-pulls.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It’s a design inspired by motorbike police jackets of 1930’s, much like that Levi looks to be (since Levi’s company never supplied the police force, for the best of my limited knowledge). Up until now, no one seems to have been inspired by those designs in a manner identical to Freewheelers’, right down to the cool but very impractical ballchain zipper-pulls.

I don't get it. So you're saying that police jackets were the first to have that design? And that Freewheelers copied that design? And FCL's crime is that they copied the same design, but then took Freewheeler's idea on the zipper pulls?

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like that the fcl doesn't have the waist pulls.

I think your point is a little overstated and silly. Repro brands are fundamentally about copying ideas and making small adjustments to the design.

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
I don't get it. So you're saying that police jackets were the first to have that design? And that Freewheelers copied that design? And FCL's crime is that they copied the same design, but then took Freewheeler's idea on the zipper pulls?

I haven’t seen the original police jacket with those pulls but I’m very much interested to learn of it should someone happen to know more - if it did exist, I’m sure someone will quote the model. I have seen, and own, the inspired-by version by Freewheelers, and now I have seen what I consider a very dubious maneuver by a direct competitor.

No one spoke of crimes up until now, just very low-brow tactics in the marketplace.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really think its a big deal. Also I don't think they are direct competitors. The FW is like $1000 more expensive and made of Shinki HH.

Also why ya hating on addict haha, they don't have anything that looks like that jacket!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven’t seen the original police jacket with those pulls but I’m very much interested to learn of it should someone happen to know more - if it did exist, I’m sure someone will quote the model. I have seen, and own, the inspired-by version by Freewheelers, and now I have seen what I consider a very dubious maneuver by a direct competitor.

No one spoke of crimes up until now, just very low-brow tactics in the marketplace.

The FCL design doesn't have side tabs. Freewheeler's design does. Granted, that seems like a small point. But so are zipper pulls.

I don't really understand the idea of "copying" in classic clothing, to be honest. Copying is a marker of what makes something classic. Bass Weejuns are classic because they were copied to death. Schott's Perfecto, Henry Poole's tuxedo, Levi's five-pocket jeans, and so forth. The reason why these things are classic is because they were copied and imitated to death, so they became canon.

If you take umbrage with FCL "copying" Freewheeler's zipper pulls, why wouldn't Freewheeler's "copying" 1930s police jackets be just as bad?

Anyway, kind of depressing that menswear is often so restrictive, design innovation is about which of the three zipper pulls you choose from the trims market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads