• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aero moto looks fantastic but I’d want to do something with returns.

James grose looks cool in pics but the band on bottom and people’s comments on fit are throwing me off.

Addict looks like exactly what I want so hopefully it works out when I order, sadly it’s exchange only.

@LA Guy i know diff strokes for diff folks but compare CCP to aero...
CCP has much more complicated patterns, and the leather is a finished piece of work from day 1. The stitching seems to be a all dense overlock. The stitching on Aeros are more common machine stitching.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
CCP has much more complicated patterns, and the leather is a finished piece of work from day 1. The stitching seems to be a all dense overlock. The stitching on Aeros are more common machine stitching.
What do you mean by finished piece of work? Are you referring to the object dying?

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just picked up this CCP grail of mine

s-l1600.jpg

Leather is horse, but the entire jacket was tanned (and dyed) as one

Which means that this ******* madman got the raw bits of untanned horse skin and stitched them together in a jacket shape with a needle and thread, before putting them in a vat of whatever the ******* is they use to tan (and then dye) leather.

I really want to see this actually happen - I'm picturing some poor Italian lady with her hands covered in horse bits trying to shove a needle through this raw flesh. Its kind of hard to believe, actually.

Anyway the thing weighs at least twice as much as my other ccp jackets and the leather is THICK.
The size is tagged 50, but I guess the object-tanning makes the sizing unpredictable as the leather presumably shrinks a lot after having been already stitched. So it fits pretty slim on me and I'm a 48 (or even 46) in other CCP leathers.

You can wear it with your thumb in the "glove" or just put your whole hand through the elastic part. Either way actually looks and feels surprisingly "normal"
s-l1600 (1).jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by finished piece of work? Are you referring to the object dying?
I mean the finishing, all of it, from the object dye job to the hand oiling and waxing, which makes it look like a completed garment from Day 1. Also, everything is neatly tucked in. An Aero jacket is different. It's a simpler, classic jacket, and new, it's got the potential for character, but you have to wear it in to get it. IT's also got some edges showing, and are unfinished. With time, these get burnished, but when you first get it, it's heavy and unweildy. Both are well worth wearing.

NGOStudio

Reaction score
@skeen7908 that is strangely beautiful. I saw a similar one on Grailed a while back. Is it the same? Kinda reminds me about some earlier distressed works of Yohji.

@LA Guy @sinnedk , most artisanal makers use quality leather, no doubt. If the stitching comes off or badly done, you can always repair or reinforce it. But it's well known that CCP's footwears has some construction drawbacks regardless of their beauty. Maybe people are overpaying for those unnecessary processes but like art, it offers than just fuction.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just picked up this CCP grail of mine

View attachment 874648

Leather is horse, but the entire jacket was tanned (and dyed) as one

Which means that this ******* madman got the raw bits of untanned horse skin and stitched them together in a jacket shape with a needle and thread, before putting them in a vat of whatever the ******* is they use to tan (and then dye) leather.

I really want to see this actually happen - I'm picturing some poor Italian lady with her hands covered in horse bits trying to shove a needle through this raw flesh. Its kind of hard to believe, actually.

Anyway the thing weighs at least twice as much as my other ccp jackets and the leather is THICK.
The size is tagged 50, but I guess the object-tanning makes the sizing unpredictable as the leather presumably shrinks a lot after having been already stitched. So it fits pretty slim on me and I'm a 48 (or even 46) in other CCP leathers.

You can wear it with your thumb in the "glove" or just put your whole hand through the elastic part. Either way actually looks and feels surprisingly "normal"
View attachment 874649
Nice. But has anyone seen a CCP jacket that is not object dyed? Every one I've seen, tried on, own, are object dyed and oiled.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole process is quite unstable with the stockists saying with some items end up getting ruined and just chalked up as a loss.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@skeen7908 that is strangely beautiful. I saw a similar one on Grailed a while back. Is it the same? Kinda reminds me about some earlier distressed works of Yohji.

@LA Guy @sinnedk , most artisanal makers use quality leather, no doubt. If the stitching comes off or badly done, you can always repair or reinforce it. But it's well known that CCP's footwears has some construction drawbacks regardless of their beauty. Maybe people are overpaying for those unnecessary processes but like art, it offers than just fuction.

CCP footwear def has some issues that being said I have owned on and off 6 pairs of tornados, currently at 3 with one pre ordered, and of all the artisan footwear makes its the easiest to wear and most comfortable.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean the finishing, all of it, from the object dye job to the hand oiling and waxing, which makes it look like a completed garment from Day 1. Also, everything is neatly tucked in. An Aero jacket is different. It's a simpler, classic jacket, and new, it's got the potential for character, but you have to wear it in to get it. IT's also got some edges showing, and are unfinished. With time, these get burnished, but when you first get it, it's heavy and unweildy. Both are well worth wearing.

Gotcha.

Idk I never yearned for a scarstitch both due to price and practicality reasons. I’m not confident I would wear as often possibly opting for a DR/moto with a slim design.

The funny thing is these days I can easily afford it but part of me just has a mental block at that price point for any clothing items (mmoira being another classic example). I think if I dropped that much I’d have two issues one is guilt (buyers remorse maybe) and the other is happiness which I doubt I would get out of a piece of such expensive clothing.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's object tanned mate
with all due respect the jacket is not object tanned........Object dyed yes but not tanned.
Leather has to be tanned to some extent before you can even use it.....

I will come back to this discussion later

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
with all due respect the jacket is not object tanned........Object dyed yes but not tanned.
Leather has to be tanned to some extent before you can even use it.....

I will come back to this discussion later

Good catch yes tanning happens before dying. Otherwise you have decomposing colored hide of an animal...

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Good catch yes tanning happens before dying. Otherwise you have decomposing colored hide of an animal...
there is a whole lot of fairy tale horse-**** (pun intended) that is sold to customers in the name of selling products, and the reality is that it isnt necessary because the products are great within themselves and can exist on their own merit.
Sometimes i see some things being said and i just roll my (cyber)eyes and say.......Cool story, but I don't bother to contradict anyone because as a designer it never comes across well to destroy the fantasies of others in a market where I am selling my own products and have respect for my peers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads