• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got all my shirts in today, they seem to be made quite well. The fit is good, although perhaps not perfect for me. They are certainly shorter in length and the sleeves and slimmer in the chest/shoulders then J Crew, although I'd hesitate to say they are much slimmer through the body. I still prefer the fit from J Crew (longer and slimmer through the body, for me).

That being said, they are good shirts for the price and I like the patterns and colours. I got the red chambray, a number of poplin shirts, an oxford shirt and some flannel shirts. I'd say the chambray has the slimmest fit of them all. The flannel shirts are significantly looser then the other shirts (as they should be) and are easily my favorites of the lot.

I noticed somewhere in here someone mentioned they were 6'3" and the medium fit them well, I'm 6'1" and I find them a bit short (not unwearable by any means, but shorter then I'm used). Perhaps it's a personal preference thing.

Anyways, in summation, I prefer J Crew shirts but with a fairly decent stream of 25% off coupons (every few months) these shirts are great to fill out my casual shirt wardrobe (I'm always in a button-down shirt or something similar these days, no tees for me).

chopp

Reaction score
i got a cardi [small], oxford shirt [small], and khakis [29x30] today. everything is described as "slim", however they're all HUGE!!

im between an XS and S in jcrew, but i would describe lands end canvas' small size as a jcrew medium. even the khakis sized 29x30 are HUGE...compared to the urban slim jcrew's i have they feel 2 sizes bigger. everything is going back to sears. thank god they have free returns at any sears

eyeofthetig3r

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chopp
i got a cardi [small], oxford shirt [small], and khakis [29x30] today. everything is described as "slim", however they're all HUGE!!

im between an XS and S in jcrew, but i would describe lands end canvas' small size as a jcrew medium. even the khakis sized 29x30 are HUGE...compared to the urban slim jcrew's i have they feel 2 sizes bigger. everything is going back to sears. thank god they have free returns at any sears

Hi, do you mind posting measurements of the small cardi and small oxford shirt?

eyeofthetig3r

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
Got all my shirts in today, they seem to be made quite well. The fit is good, although perhaps not perfect for me. They are certainly shorter in length and the sleeves and slimmer in the chest/shoulders then J Crew, although I'd hesitate to say they are much slimmer through the body. I still prefer the fit from J Crew (longer and slimmer through the body, for me).

That being said, they are good shirts for the price and I like the patterns and colours. I got the red chambray, a number of poplin shirts, an oxford shirt and some flannel shirts. I'd say the chambray has the slimmest fit of them all. The flannel shirts are significantly looser then the other shirts (as they should be) and are easily my favorites of the lot.

I noticed somewhere in here someone mentioned they were 6'3" and the medium fit them well, I'm 6'1" and I find them a bit short (not unwearable by any means, but shorter then I'm used). Perhaps it's a personal preference thing.

Anyways, in summation, I prefer J Crew shirts but with a fairly decent stream of 25% off coupons (every few months) these shirts are great to fill out my casual shirt wardrobe (I'm always in a button-down shirt or something similar these days, no tees for me).

Hi, do you mind posting measurements of the medium chambray, oxford and flannel shirts? I'm looking to order and I'm just curious about the sizing.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anybody have experience with Land's End's shirts that are 'traditional fit'?

I was thinking that these denim shirts could work if darted in the back but don't want to buy them if they are blousy in fit

listed under: •Traditional Fit: the classic American cut

ie. is it just the waist that is big or is the entire cut big? anybody?
391381_A510_L1_EU7

rdev

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chopp

Weird, all three of my LEC small shirts are smaller than J Crew small. When I compared the two, LEC was about 1" shorter in sleeves, 1-2" slimmer in the chest and waist, and the sleeves were a lot slimmer. I can't see how they are comparable to JC medium.

quicksilverXP

Reaction score
I agree with chopp.... I jus got all my small canvas shirts, and the fit is definitely weirder than Jcrew (which is already weird). I'd say at the shoulders, the Canvas is a bit slimmer. The shirt length and sleeve is also shorter than Jcrew. But the body is much more boxy without much shape to the point where it looks like a Jcrew medium.

If you've got the body fit, then they are pretty good shirts. The oxfords are the softer kind, like Gant Rugger.

rdev

Reaction score
I realize that fit is subjective, but I still think you guys are crazy. Here are my measurements for a LEC Poplin Workshirt in size small:

Yoke: 17"
Pit to Pit: 19.5"
Waist: 18.5"
Hips: 19"
Length: 29.5"

Here are my measurements for a J Crew Secret Wash shirt in size small:

Yoke: 17.75"
Pit to Pit: 20.5"
Waist: 19.5"
Hips: 20"
Length: 30"

In every measurement, the LEC one is smaller.

I can't directly compare oxfords right now, since my LEC one is at the tailor, but it is most definitely slimmer than the JC one. It fits me like the Poplin Workshirt, while the JC one fit looser than the secret wash shirt.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisfits
So ... are you keeping the shawl cardigan? Or is it too big?

I'll be returning it. The heritage cardigan fits me pretty well, if not a tad boxy. The shawl is much too big for me.

Piroshky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
does anybody have experience with Land's End's shirts that are 'traditional fit'? I was thinking that these denim shirts could work if darted in the back but don't want to buy them if they are blousy in fit listed under: •Traditional Fit: the classic American cut ie. is it just the waist that is big or is the entire cut big? anybody?
391381_A510_L1_EU7

Unless you have the ability to size down 2+ sizes in this shirt, I would suggest against ordering it. It is going to fit oversized and enormous otherwise (well, depending on your build). Are you a slim-ish person? Although you could always have it tailored, I guess.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
does anybody have experience with Land's End's shirts that are 'traditional fit'?

I was thinking that these denim shirts could work if darted in the back but don't want to buy them if they are blousy in fit

listed under: "¢Traditional Fit: the classic American cut

ie. is it just the waist that is big or is the entire cut big? anybody?
391381_A510_L1_EU7

I think it's going to fit really boxy. If you want a denim shirt with a little more tailored and modern fit, keep an eye on Gap and JCrew. They both have been cycling in and out some denim shirts that look decent. RRL makes some great ones too, but they can be pricey. Look around Ebay for one of those as I have seen them sold, new with tags, for much lower prices then MSRP.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys

LandsEnd Canvas has two denim workshirts but the washes seem off compared to the regular Lands End ones

ie. the light one is a bit too distressed and the dark color just seems too dark (unless their online picture is not true to what it really looks like). If anyone has one and can comment, I'd love to hear or see a picture

I'll keep an eye out for the others and might just bite the bullet on the JCrew one since I know it fits me well

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrlenzi