• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got my first AA tee, does this look to big or will it shrink up in first wash?

photofabix

Reaction score
Well anyone that has read my previous posts knows, I lost 140 pounds on my own, Now I'm trying to discover what size I am and get used to slimmer clothes as opposed to hiding my self in baggy clothes that don't fit. That said with everyone's recommendation I jumped on a American Apparel shirt on ebay sized large (navy) just to see how they fit before I order more. To me it seems maybe a little baggy, I was wondering how much they shrink after there first wash, and if it looks ok?

Thanks in advance,
Jeans Rauph Lauren Polo 34" AA Tee Large 5'9" 170 pounds

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not going to shrink nearly enough. See how the sholulder seems are dropping well below your actual shoulders?

Basically try a size smaller atleast, and get the shoulders to hit square while being reasonably fitted through the body.

finch

Reaction score
Some preference will come into play with the fit your comfortable with. Myself I like my T's to have a little more fit to them, in the case of yours I'd suggest going down a size if it doesn't shrink to your liking. Congrats on the weight loss! You may want to consider trying on an AA shirts at one of their location to firm up size and fit before purchasing online.

photofabix

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the quick replies, yea I noticed the shoulders where sagging some, that really seems to be my problem area I can not remember ever owning a shirt that fit me correctly in the shoulders. Thankfully I got this Tee for all of $5 including shipping so I'm not really out to much if it doesn't shrink up.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to warn you, as a person with the same general proportions, to go with a medium. Certainly, I knew it was going to be far too long.

The poly/cotton medium AA shirt I got recently is substantially larger than the all-cotton mediums... something to be aware of as well.

photofabix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I was going to warn you, as a person with the same general proportions, to go with a medium. Certainly, I knew it was going to be far too long.

The poly/cotton medium AA shirt I got recently is substantially larger than the all-cotton mediums... something to be aware of as well.

Thanks for the heads up on the 50/50, I'll keep that in mind.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on losing all that weight man! I lost like 15lbs during the summer(I'm 5'8 155lb now). But whoa you totally nail your goal I bet
smile.gif
Now on your first pair of raw =P

John Stevenson

Reaction score
I found my AA tees were pretty huge when I got them but shrunk down nicely after a hot wash and dry. Although it does look in your case that you can go down to a medium.

photofabix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
Congrats on losing all that weight man!
Thanks
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Warren G.
Now on your first pair of raw =P
Soon as I can afford a pair of Raw jeans I will definitely got a pair, there on my things to get list
smile.gif
I basically lucked out with the Rl jeans, I found them practically brand new for $4 at thrift store, a bit tight in the waist but I think err hope they will stretch out.

Originally Posted by John Stevenson
I found my AA tees were pretty huge when I got them but shrunk down nicely after a hot wash and dry. Although it does look in your case that you can go down to a medium.

Looks like it's an unanimous vote on medium then, I just worry if the stomach will be to tight if I go medium. I really wish there was a store here so I could try them on...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
let me just come out and say this flat out...

i commend your weight loss, but your first few photos sure you look ok, but i dont know, it is kind of amusing and tiring at the same time how you choose to pose so retiring or sick all the time.

stand up straight , look confident , stick your chest out and take a photo for us. dont look so sickly and lost please!!!!!!!

photofabix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
let me just come out and say this flat out...

i commend your weight loss, but your first few photos sure you look ok, but i dont know, it is kind of amusing and tiring at the same time how you choose to pose so retiring or sick all the time.

stand up straight , look confident , stick your chest out and take a photo for us. dont look so sickly and lost please!!!!!!!

Lol photos of my self I am not good at, err not photogenic...photos of places and things I can take with out a problem.

I promise I won't litter this place with lots of bad photos of me, I'm just trying to get a few tips and will work from there.

Brutus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by photofabix
Looks like it's an unanimous vote on medium then, I just worry if the stomach will be to tight if I go medium. I really wish there was a store here so I could try them on...

Chances are pretty good that when you get that medium and try it on the first time, you're going to think it's showing off your stomach while in reality it's probably not. Just plan on your mind heading in that direction. Post a pic and we'll tell you the truth.

photofabix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brutus
Post a pic and we'll tell you the truth.
That's what I'm afraid of, look at sho'nuff's reply above lol.. I appreciate the honesty though. I'll make sure to get some sun and stand up straight before I take anymore pics.
rotflmao.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads