• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought my first 3 piece

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am excited to say that I made a nice addition to my suit collection adding a navy blue (with stripes) 3 piece suit. I am learning more and more about this "fashion thing" from what I thought I knew, I figured out I didn't know all that much. Based off what I've been reading on the boards, 3 pieces tend to be too formal/not appropriate for business. So my other question is that, would it be weird to wear the vest of the suit with a pair of jeans? Or is that a bad idea? Also what are some basic suggestions as to what can and cannot be done with 3 piece suits. It seems to be a whole different ballpark when one is talking about a piece suit.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda depends on where you are. I'm in Korea where anything goes, and showing up in a 3 piece may actually just land you the job. Chances are your boss' tie looks like he liberally Bedazzled it.

mrbig

Reaction score
Before I worked out and lost most of my old custom wardrobe, I almost exclusively wore three-pieces and DB's. I'm still in college (university), and the only people that give me looks are either a) girls and b) guys who later ask "where did you get that suit, and how do i get one?".

However, having been in a corporate environment before, it depends on the cut of the three piece. I wouldn't wear a Tom Ford three-piece with huge lapels into a business meeting, and i would keep it a very conservative fabric. By no means is a three-piece taboo or inappropriate, it just needs to be done properly. SpooPoker once wore a three piece chalkstripe by Tom Ford, and that would be just fine in many London offices, but I'm not sure about where you are.

Where I am, wearing a suit that wasn't made my a random generic label and hadn't seen a tailor yet (possibly with the label on the sleeve still attached) is the norm, but then, cutting a dashing figure is made that much easier by this.

I wouldn't wear a striped waistcoat with anything that isnt a striped jacket and trousers of the same cloth. You *could* try jeans with a check (Prince of Wales comes to mind) or a solid/woven pattern cloth. I once saw a picture of Daniel Craig wearing a tweed three-piece with jeans instead of trousers, and heavy brogues, looked a nice casual look.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbig
Before I worked out and lost most of my old custom wardrobe, I almost exclusively wore three-pieces and DB's. I'm still in college (university), and the only people that give me looks are either a) girls and b) guys who later ask "where did you get that suit, and how do i get one?".

However, having been in a corporate environment before, it depends on the cut of the three piece. I wouldn't wear a Tom Ford three-piece with huge lapels into a business meeting, and i would keep it a very conservative fabric. By no means is a three-piece taboo or inappropriate, it just needs to be done properly. SpooPoker once wore a three piece chalkstripe by Tom Ford, and that would be just fine in many London offices, but I'm not sure about where you are.

Where I am, wearing a suit that wasn't made my a random generic label and hadn't seen a tailor yet (possibly with the label on the sleeve still attached) is the norm, but then, cutting a dashing figure is made that much easier by this.

I wouldn't wear a striped waistcoat with anything that isnt a striped jacket and trousers of the same cloth. You *could* try jeans with a check (Prince of Wales comes to mind) or a solid/woven pattern cloth. I once saw a picture of Daniel Craig wearing a tweed three-piece with jeans instead of trousers, and heavy brogues, looked a nice casual look.

Okay, do you agree that wearing it in winter is more acceptable due to cold weather? I will post pictures of the fabric later.

mrbig

Reaction score
Depends on the fabric. If it's just a year-round worsted, then not really. If it's tweed or flannel, then yes. If it's a linen-silk or something that has an open weave, then that's really for spring/summer only.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
3 piece suits aren't necessarily inappropriate for a business setting. It really just varies on the setting. They would work ok in my office. Just don't wear one to a job interview or to a first meeting with clients. Feel everything out and then go from there.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have a wool 3 piece in a blueish grey with a pinstripe and horn buttons. Its a bit flashy i suppose...but I dont see a problem wearing it. Especially this time of year.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will follow up with some pictures once I get it back from the tailors.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please please please give me some suggestions as to what to wear with this suit. I am bad matching 3 pieces, I find it harder for some odd reason. It's NAVY fyi.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just posted pictures. Also how would you suggest wearing the vest with jeans?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I would not.

Is that b/c it is a vest from a three piece suit? Or it just wont match?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads