• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Elliott interned for Simon Miller before starting up his brand, and Simon Miller founded multiple denim brands (most notably Fabric Brand) with prices reaching/extending far above what was released for denim in today's drop. It makes sense where he gets his inspiration for denim construction and the market that (clearly) will be there for it all.

I'm stoked to see what collab's JE is cooking up for the FW17 season... always some dope one-off capsule of some sort outside the main season drops.

Super curious too on how the denim jacket will fit layered (namely with a flash dual zip)
Check out my previous posts, I talked about the Simon Miller connection

kitmonroe

Reaction score
Tbh I like the repairs. I think it adds character and detail to the denim. Am I stoked out of mind about them...I could honestly go either way. I think it's safe to say, that almost everyone on the thread isn't a fan of the paint splatters and I hope JE pivots from that.

Now I'm trying to speculate here, but I think JE is infatuated with Japanese materials and manufacturing techniques. Obviously having Nobu on board really influences that, but it really looks like JE has moved to manufacturing a large portion if not all of his standout pieces in Japan for their skill/technique/aesthetic.

I also think the brand is shifting into a market of "luxury" that a lot of celebrities and artists are getting on board with. SLP is amazing quality and a house name, but SLP is a Parisian brand at the end of the day, and I think JE is moving in a similar direction with an American flair. It's hard to say on the thread what's what, but I don't think JE wants to stay complicit with just making terry sweats and basics. Getting to experiment with all different kinds of materials, silhouettes, and ideas is what keeps the brand moving (For better or for worse.)

I like the repairs too. The knee distressing isn't exaggerated compared to their other denim with blowouts. The hem repair detail is a nice touch. Like you, it's not something I'm overly excited about but the overall wash and fit of the cast 2 is what sold me most. I can only imagine in real life it will be even more amazing.

I understand people are put off by the paint splatters and want more denim from JE that aren't distressed. I agree that there should be more mainline denim that aren't distressed or have paint splatter as opposed to having 7 out of 10 that have that detail. However, the denim or pieces that are more experimental/statement are seasonal. I think maybe we have to remember that. That's why coast 2, nimbus, carbon exist as mainline denim. If you want to throw skittles in you can. Again, yes I agree with everyone. There definitely needs to be more variety of washes. The dillion denim is a damn nice piece that belongs in season 10. Obviously it's intended to be a statement denim but still subtle enough. It's not going to be for everyone but each season should show progression and be conceptional, right?

@grantmason6882 makes a great point about JE moving in a similar direction as SLP but with an American flair. I'm sure that's the big picture for the company as well as doing what he does best but continue to evolve each year with new or preexisting ideas. Sure he can make "real" dress shirts, but that's not what JE is really stressing. Maybe we'll see some to compliment the suiting that he's doing. It'd make sense. Season 10 and 11 showcases that he is great at elevating American sportswear aesthetics and basics.

Just my 2 cents and I'll leave it at that!

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a fair point of view. I think from there it's just deciding if it fits your personal style or not. I grew up skating and thrashing my jeans and chinos. Unfortunately, skate brands make cheap stretchy jeans with garbage washes, nor would I ever want to skate in denim made from such high quality so for me, I don't mind because they provide the value (aesthetic) I've been wearing for almost 14 years.

I love the aesthetic too. 99% of it I can wear. I'm just saying from a personal standpoint and maybe a few others that at some point the price point for the outfit matters. I own plenty of pieces that are expensive but obviously I have to pick and choose. For my casual outfits, at certain price points I only can justify standout pieces.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_5626.JPG

Shadow plaid kind of day

dcvm1979

Reaction score
I didn't purchase anything today I need simple staples I haven't been excited for anything in a minute I'm boring that way...anyway I wiped my Kanes with a rag because they were dirty AF n it had some sort of cleaner ..turned the top block damn near a different color...kinda mad since i put so much time into them I will continue to kill them..
cast 2 Kanes
20170731_195525.jpg
20170731_195506.jpg

20170731_184138.jpg

20170731_184016.jpg

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have the same raw cast 2 kanes and they have that same reddish hue. i thought maybe it was like sun exposure lol. have never washed mine so not sure if its just how it ages, but i have the same (maybe slightly less) color changes on my jawnz. it doesnt bother me as it looks unique and is aging/distressing based on my wear which is the point of raw denim

but yes i too skipped on denim today. i dont want repairs/cuts/holes in my denim. what ive been waiting for is plain staple denim like a straight dark raw indigo pair. i guess JE doesnt care to provide it as there are other alternatives, but seems like a no brainer to constantly stock staple denim alongside staple white, black, grey tees

TheOpOg

Reaction score
I tend to agree with the general sentiment of the forum. John Elliott needs to produce more styles, and quantities, of quality basic items at more reasonable prices. Especially when it comes to denim (and outerwear IMO). Although, lets not forget it's statement pieces that help define and grow a brand.

I actually don't think his statement to basic ratio would be too out of whack if washes like Nimbus, Coast and Carbon were kept in stock on a fairly regular basis. It would also be nice to have a nice grey and/or washed black jean without distressing (I would buy the Zinc without knee blowouts in a heartbeat!). That being said I still love to grabbing a couple great statement pieces each season. It would be nice if they reduced the amount of "statement' pieces and only kept the few top winners. That way they wouldn't have a flood of pieces going to sale each season and everybody just waiting for it.

I know the paint spatters are getting a lot of hate on here and for the most part I agree. It's definitely time to move on but I still love both the Coba and Alta washes (anybody know where Alta's are on sale?). The White Paint splatters on the Coba really compliment my white Leather Hi's well. The rest of the paint splatter jeans, I didn't care for at all. Also, it kind of turned into a fad where a lot of brands did it less tastefully. I am getting to the age where I want more classic items that I can wear to work (basically not distressed) and more "formal" events. I don't want to spend $500 on ripped jeans that I can only wear on weekends for a season or two. I would love to be able to buy a pair of Nimbus and other basic jeans that I know will look good in 3 years but they are never in stock. Also, I agree with many of the others here, the pricing is getting a little too out of hand for the quality.

On another note I am pumped for those dark grey Leather Hi's! They look really good with that Indigo Dillon.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had my eye on the type 1 for some time, and it's hit sales. But the inseam seems too short for me.

I believe all the waist sizes 32 and under have a 32" inseam. Size 34 has 34". Geller denim is great quality though. I wear the type 3 so there's a little room in the thigh. My size 32 still tapers down to a 7" hem.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming from someone with the Margiela birdshit GATs, I hate the paint splatter on JE jeans lol. I don't wear the birdshit GATs often though. The paper mache ones that came out a few seasons later would work better for me.

Also not a fan of the repairs, I prefer to wear jeans out and do repairs myself although haven't really gotten that far besides crotch blowouts

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If anything, you'll probably see more paint splatter stuff (not necessarily from JE) with a renewed interest in things like the vintage Helmut Lang painter jeans (thanks Kanye) and the older Balmain paint splatter jeans.

Original paper mache GATs are way older than the first Pollock ones (I sold my BNIB like a moron maybe 3 years ago?). Newer ones are plaster.

jthom931

Reaction score
Check out my previous posts, I talked about the Simon Miller connection

Shoot mate, totally didn't see that haha. I guess I sounded pretty redundant saying that!

Just waiting for the California folks to get their gear this week and start posting reviews on it all! This forum saves so much time (and possibly $$) with narrowing down different sizing options, pieces that are worth/not worth it's value, etc.

dcvm1979

Reaction score
@randomkoreandude
Glad to hear you have a pair with a similar hue..yea that is just probably how they age....kinda pink..I like them I just wish they had an indigo I could kill along with these I really don't like the fading along the seam of the new denim..that really bothers me. The details I've seen have been awesome other than that

marcus-chi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the consensus is plain denim on the board but I'm actually a fan of the distressing and stuff. I agree, the paint splatters can be a bit much but these Dillon pair strike the perfect balance for me between plain and a little bit of something to separate it from the pack. There's so many plain denim options out there that fit great; Rag & Bone, APC, and some SLP just to name a few, so I'm cool with JE continuing with the different washes, distressing, etc and only releasing a few plain ones like the Coast, Nimbus, etc. Could be profession but I can dress how I want all week and I'll wear knee blowouts to dinner with a client in a second lol.

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the consensus is plain denim on the board but I'm actually a fan of the distressing and stuff. I agree, the paint splatters can be a bit much but these Dillon pair strike the perfect balance for me between plain and a little bit of something to separate it from the pack. There's so many plain denim options out there that fit great; Rag & Bone, APC, and some SLP just to name a few, so I'm cool with JE continuing with the different washes, distressing, etc and only releasing a few plain ones like the Coast, Nimbus, etc. Could be profession but I can dress how I want all week and I'll wear knee blowouts to dinner with a client in a second lol.

It's difficult to find nice washed denim that fits like slp. If you want a solid color or a raw denim, then plenty to pick from and you can easily alter to fit too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads