• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MilesMW

Reaction score
@MIKE_JE Is this a new tee that John is wearing? Looks like it has the washed black effect of the woo items, but without the print. And those cargos look promising, are they FW 18?

john-elliot-nike-9.jpg

Crshngdwn

Reaction score
Looking for a new black denim jacket, and deciding between JE Obsidian, 3sixteen, or Wings + Horns. Anyone tried the Obsidian thumper?

97laxlude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a new black denim jacket, and deciding between JE Obsidian, 3sixteen, or Wings + Horns. Anyone tried the Obsidian thumper?

I don't own any of these but I have been searching for a black type 3.

What kind of fit are you looking for?
JE obsidian thumper is a type 2 that is oversized and cropped.
3sixteen and wings + horns are both type 3's that are slim but not skinny fitting and have a classic length so not cropped. Totally different looks than the JE thumper.
If you want a black as black thumper than W+H. A unique black then 3sixteen (it's got some weight to it too).
Another unique black is Oni secret denim type 3 but they sell out a lot so can be finicky to get and finding the right fit between sanforized and unsanforized can be tricky.
None of the last three have stretch to them and are raw so keep that in mind.

ASpec818

Reaction score
the 3sixteen type 3s is considerably longer than the obsidian cropped thumper. it is boxy and a lot stiffer than the thumper. The Black Shadow is a unique color as it starts as black/dark blue and fades into blue hues.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the 3sixteen type 3s is considerably longer than the obsidian cropped thumper. it is boxy and a lot stiffer than the thumper. The Black Shadow is a unique color as it starts as black/dark blue and fades into blue hues.
I have both, the double black and the shadow selvedge. The shadow selvedge is a very very dark navy, there is no black in it. It will fade beautiful giving rise to some electric blue honey combs. I love them both, the length is great on the 3s, just a tad bit longer than the traditional type 3. My only complaint with the three sixteen jackets are the collars are a little large, kind of gives off a very retro look. I’m sure no one else notices, but it does bother me at times. Otherwise they are solid jackets. The are raw selvedge denim, so they are rather stiff and unforgiving (when I first got them they could stand up on their own), but they loosen up with wear. I’m normally a small in most JE items including the thumper (haven’t tried the thumper 2), but needed a medium in the 3sixteen 3s.

Crshngdwn

Reaction score
I don't own any of these but I have been searching for a black type 3.

What kind of fit are you looking for?
JE obsidian thumper is a type 2 that is oversized and cropped.
3sixteen and wings + horns are both type 3's that are slim but not skinny fitting and have a classic length so not cropped. Totally different looks than the JE thumper.
If you want a black as black thumper than W+H. A unique black then 3sixteen (it's got some weight to it too).
Another unique black is Oni secret denim type 3 but they sell out a lot so can be finicky to get and finding the right fit between sanforized and unsanforized can be tricky.
None of the last three have stretch to them and are raw so keep that in mind.

^^^thanks all for the feedback! I think I’d prefer a slim/regular fit and some substance. I’d normally be wearing it over thin button ups or tees, so the Type 2 might be too oversized/cropped for me.

If it’s between the 3sixteen double black and W+H, I’m leaning towards 3s. I’d definitely try an OG thumper or Type 3 in Obsidian from JE, but I haven’t seen any indication of one releasing based on the look book.

jordan1fever

Reaction score
I have a question for you guys that are experienced with john Elliott. I've always liked the villain hoodie and I'm now in a position acquire a few. I have a question regarding sizing. Do all john Elliot hoodies from first to current season run the same size? By that I mean are the sizing of his items consistent. Like will a medium villain hoodie from last this season fit like a villain hoodie from 3 seasons ago? I asked because a online shop has a few of the colors from a few seasons ago but they don't offer returns. I basically want to make sure I'm not stuck with a hoodie that doesn't fit. I'm specifically talking about the green one. I went on grailed just to see the color of the hoodie in real pics and in his description he said that the green villain hoodies run smaller that usuall, can any one confirm this. Thanks in advance and any help would be appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads