• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ZanderRosen

Reaction score
I just copped a second pair of Cast 2 Mica off Grailed for $130, in a size 30, one size bigger than the 29s I've been rocking for awhile now. Should offer a better fit, and now I can really beat my 29s up and keep these as the clean-up pair. Love them.

The Obsidians do look dope though.

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody educate a playa on why so many of you want raw black denim so bad. Genuinely curious.

Slp made raw black trendy. Seems like many here are a fan of that asthetic.

I own a pair of raw black but I don’t wear them often. I don’t see the hype either.

marcus-chi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boys.. Whats the Difference between Carbons vs Obsidians regarding Fit, stretch, appearance and maybe price.. Inquiring minds wanna know. Restocked just happened and I'm inches away from pulling the trigger on Carbons in my size... should I hold up for tomo?
I just like to get a simple, black JE Jeans, for Day or Night... similar to Skittles fit.. that is all!

I have Carbons, and they are 3x1 stretch just like Skittles. I was able to size down to a 30 from my normal 32 because of that, and they fit amazingly and stack perfectly.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boys.. Whats the Difference between Carbons vs Obsidians regarding Fit, stretch, appearance and maybe price.. Inquiring minds wanna know. Restocked just happened and I'm inches away from pulling the trigger on Carbons in my size... should I hold up for tomo?
I just like to get a simple, black JE Jeans, for Day or Night... similar to Skittles fit.. that is all!
Get both

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody educate a playa on why so many of you want raw black denim so bad. Genuinely curious.
I have so many pairs of black denim and I'm still going to buy the "obsidian". Black goes with everything and I feel like as with shoes you need to rotate your denim for longetivity.

Not really sure why they called these "obsidian" other than for nostalgia purposes. The real obsidians were like a black/blue.

djkillahcam

Reaction score
Since the Obsidians are raw with 2% stretch, I'm assuming they won't stretch nearly as much as other cast 2's right? Which would mean to go TTS and not size down like most of us do

vaeMD

Reaction score
appears that these obsidians are more black. the cast 2 obsidians i have are definitely not black when compared to neros, carbons and sashikos (all of which i own).

djkillahcam

Reaction score
A flat lock stitch is a stitch used generally in place of an overlock stitch or "serger" (the stitch most companies, JE included, use on the sides of a t-shirt). A flat lock stitch is commonly used in atheletic wear (yoga pants, Nike mesh shorts, etc).

The difference is, when using an overlock (serger) the seam allowance is on the inside of the garment (for example on the neck or collars of tshirts. Often times companies, like JE, add a cover stitch to the collar to hold this down). When you use a flat lock, the seam allowance is overlapped and sewn together so that both sides of the garment are flat/smooth (without the seam allowance being on either side).

Hopefully that makes sense. There are functional reasons to do it (in a tight fitting garment like yoga pants, you don't want bulky seams on the inside as they'd be uncomfortable) and there are aesthetic reasons to do it (some designers like the way it looks).

Epic post. Do you work in fashion?

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Since the Obsidians are raw with 2% stretch, I'm assuming they won't stretch nearly as much as other cast 2's right? Which would mean to go TTS and not size down like most of us do

They are 3X1, like all of our MIJ denim.

hermesonly

Reaction score
I have so many pairs of black denim and I'm still going to buy the "obsidian". Black goes with everything and I feel like as with shoes you need to rotate your denim for longetivity.
Not really sure why they called these "obsidian" other than for nostalgia purposes. The real obsidians were like a black/blue.
You just made a decision for me... Obsidian it is!!

One JE Jean per color at a time, for me.. save the rest of $$ for Stadium jacket, perhaps...?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweedy bag