• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

joe black the tailor

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I haven't used them, but I was in the store a couple of weeks ago with a friend who'd asked me to come along and take a look.

I know the suits are made in NZ (including the MTM, which I believe in store they term bespoke
rolleyes.gif
), none of the RTW stuff is canvassed, and I kind of got the same impression with the MTM stuff.

A little vague, I know, but if I recall anything else, I'll let you know.

jase12

Reaction score
yeh i wasn't sure if they would be canvassed or not. obviously i dont expect them to be a kiton or zegna but apparently they are only around AUD$1,000 - $1,300, just curious as to if they r worth it for that money

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think for that price you would probably be best to go to a straight up tailor.

I think that Adriano Carbone does MTM in that price range, and is only actually around the corner from there.

Site is: http://www.adriano.com.au

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joe Black terms their MTM service eSpoke, not bespoke, but I have no idea as to their quality or suit specs. From what I can see, though, I think there are better services out there for the same price or less.

mandb

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently ordered a MTM suit from Joe Black and was wondering if anyone had any previous experience with them? Are they a good fit?

Thanks

ryanohare

Reaction score
I used them for a MTM navy suit about 6 months ago.

Not a good experience. They lost my initial order, so I had to go back in for a refit, from which they did a rushed job. I was incredibly disappointed with the suit I got back, and have had to bring it back for alterations a couple of times.

For the pricetag, it's simply not worth it.

mandb

Reaction score
just an update - i got the suit done and i'm pretty happy with the result. admittedly they stuffed up the first order because the sales guy made the jacket shorter (at his suggestion) but once i tried it one it looked a tad too short.
the manager (sarah) was really great and reordered the jacket for us at no extra cost. This was done before christmas & we go the suit in Jan. jacket & pants both fit really well & pleased with outcome.

suitwarrior

Reaction score
Interesting info guys.
Have just placed an order with joe black for a MTM suit.
Will see how it goes, needing to replace old wardrobe of suits for new job. Fitting took over an hour, loads of choice, service was great.
Told pattern stays on file, easy to reorder- sounds good.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
adrianos are half canvased for the MTM price from $1500 he does good work.

suitwarrior

Reaction score
Picked up suit on the weekend. Chose a Dormeuil fabric with all the bells and whistles, very happy with the result.
While i was there had a look at their fabrics for C/M for shirting. Made in Italy, poggiantti? Not heard of this brand / label before, anyone know anything about it? Price starts from $230, is this reasonalble?

wrigglez - since last time i was in they have received a half canvas suit RTW $895, looked pretty good.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy who does the Hyundai ads here in Australia (Roger Corser I think his name is) got a suit tailored with Joe Black. He seemed happy with it by all accounts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads