• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen shirt photo

gregory

Reaction score
Gentlemen, this is me wearing my Jantzen shirt. Would appreciate your thoughts about the fit, collar style, etc. I think I pulled out too much shirt fabric from my trousers, but perhaps the shirt which is not tapered enough. Thanks
jantzen1.jpg

Yosarian77

Reaction score
I think the shirt looks good, though it's hard to tell with the collar unbuttoned.

The one thing I can say, and this could be the collar style, but the shirt makes your face look a little blurry.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt looks a little baggy (but then again this is also personal preference), if you had your next shirt tapered a little bit I think it would be perfect. What fit did you select?

Sleeve length looks okay as well. I like the double-cuffs.

Yosarian - that was funny.

rayk

Reaction score
Most new Jantzen customers have a few adjustments/modifications that they choose to make on subsequent orders, but your shirt looks pretty good.  

My eyes are not what they once were, but it would appear that your shoulder seams extend a bit beyond the shoulders and down the lateral upper arm; however, given the slope of your shoulders, the cut may be correct: I'm unable to tell from the photo.

There is unquestionably a little "blousiness" in the body, which could be easily remedied by the request for a slimmer cut.  Of course, some men don't like highly fitted shirts.

The sleeve length and collar look great.  Might this shirt be the Jantzen blue Sea Island Cotton?  If so, I have a similar shirt from Jantzen, and am very fond of it, indeed.

gregory

Reaction score
Yosarian77: You are right about the face being blurry, funny how I did not notice that. I'll definitely need to talk to Ricky about the collar. VersaceMan: You're right about the bagginess. I think I'll get my local tailor to fix it. The fit I selected was medium. The measurements I gave him was taken by a local tailor and there was no cheating on my part. rayk: I agree with you that the shirt goes beyond my shoulders a little bit. I'll try to address that with Ricky. The fabric is *terrific*. It's Dobby#123, Light Blue Crossed Design, Hard Finished, 100's, 2 Ply, 100% Italian Cotton.
dobbybluecrossed1704.jpg
http://www.jantzentailor.com/dobbydesign123.htm To others who have not responded: Keep the comments coming in.
smile.gif

fareau

Reaction score
The shirt looks great, Gregory. People seem to have the most problems with sleeve length, but your sleeves look perfect. I'm excited to say that I finally ordered my first Jantzen shirt a few days ago (I was starting to feel a little left out). I took my own measurements so the accuracy may be a little off........ I'll probably be sent a circus tent
confused.gif

gregory

Reaction score
The shirt looks great, Gregory. Â People seem to have the most problems with sleeve length, but your sleeves look perfect. Â I'm excited to say that I finally ordered my first Jantzen shirt a few days ago (I was starting to feel a little left out). Â I took my own measurements so the accuracy may be a little off........ I'll probably be sent a circus tent
confused.gif
You're ordering your first Jantzen shirt? Then, welcome to the family, fareau. This is actually not my first shirt. This is one of the five shirts I received for my second order. Don't be too hard on yourself if the first shirt doesn't turn out alright. After all, it's just a shirt right? Hmm, maybe I should take that back ... Â
tounge.gif

rayk

Reaction score
Fareau, you have to have patients with Jantzen. Â The process of self-measurement is wrought with the potential for error. Â It took me several single shirt orders, with modification to each shirt after the first, to tweak the fit. Â I'm not yet certain that I've gotten it just right, but I've decided that the fit that I've achieved is good enough to place a larger order. Â But buying shirts--RTW, MTM, and bespoke-- for me is almost fetishistic. Â
biggrin.gif

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Nice shirt Gregory. I am hardly an expert so I'll differ to the other members about fit and that sort of thing. What do you guys think of getting a button between the collar button and the last button that Gregory has buttoned? I hate to show any undershirt when I wear a dress shirt casually but I also hate to show off so much skin. When the shirt is worn with a tie, the additional is hidden anways. I'm going to finish exams and order a couple of shirts myself. Looking for some striped or checked shirts.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the sleeves will shrink with successive washings, so no problems there.

I like my shirts on the extremely trim side (I get them using the "tight" option) so to me your waist looks really balloon-y. Perhaps a more tapered fit might be in order next time.

The thing I like most about these shirts is, at $40 a pop, mistakes don't hurt you as much, and any simple mistakes can always be remedied by heading to your local shirtmaker. Once I got cuffs that weren't the ones I wanted. Solution: Paid a guy less than ten bucks to switch them for box French cuffs.

I finally got my cuff sizes to be the way I wanted. Now they're fairly snug around my wrist with enough room to come over the wrist bone.

FCS

Reaction score
What do you guys think of getting a button between the collar button and the last button that Gregory has buttoned? I hate to show any undershirt when I wear a dress shirt casually but I also hate to show off so much skin.

Ranjeev, I always specified 5 cm distance between the collar button and the next button down. Seems to do the trick.

acole

Reaction score
<dug>i kno you amricain cant take honest criticize but the rollup blind's are ugly au naturel and should be added with a nice valance + drapes combo. Â also the radiator in low left is really old-fashion and is awfull feng-shoui harmony with the ikea-style torchiere lamp.</dug>Â (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, and all...)
wink.gif
Oh, and about the shirt: very nice material (been eyeing it myself) and a sharp look in "casual" mode--assuming the degree of bagginess suits your taste (has it been washed/shrunk yet?), it looks like you got most aspects just right. Â I agree the shoulders look a touch too wide--does this change at all when the collar is fully buttoned? Â You might want to post another photo with jacket and tie so we can evaluate the collar size/look and see what happens to the sleeve length. Â For judging collar style, it might also help to show your face unblurred, although I can certainly understand if you prefer to remain anonymous. Thanks for posting the pic, Gregory.

Millerp

Reaction score
Gregory,

I like the way your shirt looks. I prefer a relaxed fit with
slightly dropped shoulders, so your fit looks ideal to me.

Again..personal taste.

I ordered my first Jantzen shirt in February. Just had to
tweak it a bit for the wrist size and am now waiting for
my second order.

Could you tell us what collar you are wearing in the
picture. Is it a #15? Did you choose a &quot;soft&quot; collar or
their &quot;standard&quot;?

Again..nice shirt. Enjoy it.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
<dug>i kno you amricain cant take honest criticize but the rollup blind's are ugly au naturel and should be added with a nice valance + drapes combo. Â also the radiator in low left is really old-fashion and is awfull feng-shoui harmony with the ikea-style torchiere lamp.</dug>Â (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, and all...)
wink.gif
Maybe you should get a job as a dorm room re-decorator
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads