• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket vs Shirt measurements

Dbass

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm planning on purchasing some new suits online but had a question regarding measurements. I rarely wear suits and the 2 that I own were purchased 7 years ago and don't fit very well. I do feel like I have my dress shirt measurements down though. Generally, how much larger/smaller should the chest and waist measurement of a jacket be compared to your dress shirt? Thanks everyone!

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Compared to your body size, the excess on a shirt would normally be between 1 and 3 inches more than the excess on a jacket around the waist and chest, depending on how close or loose you prefer each garment. I have a 40" chest and measure 37" (unfortunately) around the upper waist (buttoning point, not trouser waist). A typical 40R sized jacket, not too slim cut, would measure 43" around the chest and 40" around the waist (so +3" excess over body size) and fit me well. A good fitting shirt, neither tight nor loose, would for me measure around 45" chest and 42" waist (so +5", 2" more excess than the jacket)

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm planning on purchasing some new suits online but had a question regarding measurements. I rarely wear suits and the 2 that I own were purchased 7 years ago and don't fit very well. I do feel like I have my dress shirt measurements down though. Generally, how much larger/smaller should the chest and waist measurement of a jacket be compared to your dress shirt? Thanks everyone!
I would highly recommend going somewhere and getting measured by someone who knows what they are doing... based on experience your approach sounds like a recipe for disaster - of course I could be wrong.... Check out suit supply or some other "budget" (of course not sure what your budget is) option with a brick & mortar presence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads