• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

a-rock

Reaction score
For dress shirts for suiting I'm almost exclusively MTM these days. I've made a few attempts at making casual shirts MTM but never comes off right. Always ends up too dressy looking. Not sure exactly what it is... the fading? texture? Tried making a workshirt from Jantzen using a blue end-on-end fabric. Double flap pockets, lightweight collar, etc. Still just came off looking like a real jacked up looking dress shirt.

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snuff_daddy
saw this shirt yesterday ...gonna get my gf to use her student discount

not my image...image from b&s section:
ju7pj4.jpg

I recently tried on 5 or 6 shirts and that one was quite nice.

CEE88

Reaction score
I'm considering the Baracuta G4 slim-fit jacket or G9 wax jacket.

I've got a few concerns about the fit of the G9 and thus probably prefer the G4, but I'm intrigued by the fact that the G9 is waxed & has a quilted lining -- not sure if this was offered by Crew in the past & I haven't seen it offered elsewhere.

If anybody has solid intel on either -- fit (is the G4 longer?), sizing, quality, relative weight of the quilted G9, whatever -- I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it.

G4 Slim fit
http://www.jcrew.com/browse/popup_si...olor=undefined

G9 wax

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freewilliee
Im curious also about the G4 jacket. Has anyone purchased the cadet jacket? How does the color look in real life? (black one) and how is the fit? I have the utility jacket in shadow and surplus, wondering if its the same fit and length.

Utility jacket intervention needed!

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Page 132 of the latest GQ totally validates Robert's surplus navy army belt.
lol8[1].gif
It's one of their recommended items on the page.

Jpreme87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freewilliee
Im curious also about the G4 jacket. Has anyone purchased the cadet jacket? How does the color look in real life? (black one) and how is the fit? I have the utility jacket in shadow and surplus, wondering if its the same fit and length.

Purchased the cadet jacket today but in honey brown, but the black one looks relatively nice also. its faded black. the cadet jacket is slim. I had to sz up from a Med to a Large. lengthwise, I found it short, but I think theyre about the same in length.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tooshay
Has anyone attempted having the red chambray taken in yet? I'm seriously considering having this done. Sleeves are seriously baggy.
Originally Posted by tooshay
Right, just got back from the tailor after not having much success with wash/dry method. My main issues were: 1. Sleeves too long 2. Sleeves too baggy 3. Body too wide ...And this is in a small, the same size I wear all my Crew **** in. The tailor explained that shortening the sleeves just over an inch would be no problem but that slimming them would be impossible, judging by the double stitching on the inside. As far as the body went, he's adding two darts in the back. I gotta say, just having the pins in place made it look 50% better, but I'll be wiser tomorrow when I get it back.
Either your tailor is lazy or just lacks skill. Mine is getting double stitched seams just like my older blue and grey chambrays, no darts either.

shaftoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
I gotta be honest. I lusted after that jacket for a while, bought it, and then returned it. I think it was the velcro cuffs that turned me off. But if I'd only paid $20 for it, different story.

The velcro cuffs suck; I just pretend they don't exist and I end up enjoying the jacket a lot.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shaftoe
The velcro cuffs suck; I just pretend they don't exist and I end up enjoying the jacket a lot.

Glad you agree. It just seems like a misplaced cheapskate item on an otherwise nicely constructed jacket. I don't know what made them do that. If they'd done button cuffs, it would have been so much nicer.

seany

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that there is a short sleeve chambray option at J.Crew !

All you guys complaining about sleeves being too large, check it them out at some of the stores. I have yet to see them online.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seany
I forgot to mention that there is a short sleeve chambray option at J.Crew !

All you guys complaining about sleeves being too large, check it them out at some of the stores. I have yet to see them online.

The short sleeves are still baggy.

They will not offer a slim fit shirt option. They will not even do a trial run of slim fit shirts.
However, they will offer a slim fit option for every pair of pants they sell.
facepalm.gif

Edit- The more I think about it the more it pisses me off.
Can you imagine somebody wearing the 484 jeans with a J Crew shirt?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
The short sleeves are still baggy. They will not offer a slim fit shirt option. They will not even do a trial run of slim fit shirts. However, they will offer a slim fit option for every pair of pants they sell.
facepalm.gif
Edit- The more I think about it the more it pisses me off. Can you imagine somebody wearing the 484 jeans with a J Crew shirt?

Are the shirts really that baggy on you guys?

hobo_ken

Reaction score
Yeah, the sleeves are the worst part.

The body of the shirt fits well, but the sleeves look like I'm swimming in them.
Only remedy is to roll the sleeves up or have them tailored.

racknac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88
I'm considering the Baracuta G4 slim-fit jacket or G9 wax jacket.

I've got a few concerns about the fit of the G9 and thus probably prefer the G4, but I'm intrigued by the fact that the G9 is waxed & has a quilted lining -- not sure if this was offered by Crew in the past & I haven't seen it offered elsewhere.

If anybody has solid intel on either -- fit (is the G4 longer?), sizing, quality, relative weight of the quilted G9, whatever -- I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it.

G4 Slim fit

G9 wax

I have the G9 wax... guess i would normally wear a 40, sized down to a 38... fits fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads