• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Tom Ford right?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read a Tom Ford interview recently where he said that men should never unbutton their suit jacket, even when sitting down. The more practical advice on the forum is to unbutton when sitting down.

Any thoughts on this Tom Ford musing?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He is right...for the most part! I unbutton when sitting and boaning!

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Ah this old chestnut. I'm fairly sure wars have been fought over less.

IMHO this is completely up to the wearer of the jacket. If you have a jacket that fits well there shouldn't be an issue sitting with it buttoned. However, a buttoned jacket gives an air of formality that I feel that Mr. Ford constantly strives to maintain with his suits. It balances out his (often deeply) unbuttoned shirt and has become his signature look.

Inversely, however, Sid Mashburn will tell you that buttoning one's jacket makes you look as if you are trying way too hard. According to him clothes should be comfortable, personal and, above all, not look too perfect.

I tend to be in agreement with Mr. Mashburn's take on the situation. Unless I'm in a tux or an interview suit (which are both rare) I like to be comfortable and look natural. I enjoy my clothes and enjoy having fun with/in them so I'd rather fly the far-more-approachable unbuttoned flag.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
I think bourbon is right about how TF often wears his suits: if you're going for the open shirt collar look, showing a lot of chest, then keep the coat buttoned at all times.

The problem with leaving your coat unbuttoned while standing is that the fronts will fall down and away over your hips. That turns the triangle silhouette of a buttoned coat into a rectangle. That doesn't matter if you have good shoulders and a good chest and a tight waist, like George Clooney; it does matter if you don't.

Obviously, those aesthetic concerns have to be balanced against social perception concerns, as bourbon rightly says. Many people are bothered by men who look good in their clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads