• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this shell cordovan?

sforum1

Reaction score
I'm still trying to learn how to identify shell Vs calf. Is there such a thing as being able to tell by simply looking at a pic? Is this shoe shell for example:

cl.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's much easier to tell once the shoes have been worn. Calf will have fine creases/wrinkles while shell will have rolls across the vamp. Just from looking at the picture, they could be shell but hard to tell with 100% confidence from a picture if the shoes are unworn. However I was able to find what appears to be the same shoe and indeed they seem to be shell.

sforum1

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I think though that this shoe was made for sure in both calf and shell. Primarily calf. So I guess both the calf and shell could look identical when new if done in same color?

Speaking of Cleverley, did you see this one that popped up on ebay?

What a shoe. It just got listed and it's already bid up to $600. I'll be interested to see how much it sells for. I know if it was my size I'd be bidding on it 3X a day right before breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next 10 days. So I guess it's a good thing that it's a couple of full sizes smaller.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I think though that this shoe was made for sure in both calf and shell. Primarily calf. So I guess both the calf and shell could look identical when new if done in same color?

Speaking of Cleverley, did you see this one that popped up on ebay?

What a shoe. It just got listed and it's already bid up to $600. I'll be interested to see how much it sells for. I know if it was my size I'd be bidding on it 3X a day right before breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next 10 days. So I guess it's a good thing that it's a couple of full sizes smaller.

Awesome seller selling those, doesn't get better than that! :)

sforum1

Reaction score
Awesome seller selling those, doesn't get better than that! :)
You are not wrong about that. I bought my first pair of good shoes from you actually. A very nice pair that I still have and wore today actually. Bought it at a very good price too. Needless to say, it was all downhill from there (for my wallet that is) :)

To give you to understand, if I had a penny every time I said ok this is my last pair, that'd be enough money to get the Russian Reindeer pair above and then be left with enough to send it back to GC to have it relasted to my size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads