• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this good protein?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Opermann
My ectomorph comment was targeted for the skinny guys who need lots of extra calories to gain weight, thus protein shakes would help.
I'm not why, but you lost me here. "Protein shakes" come in all sizes and shapes, and what you said only apply to protein blends / weight gainers. A serving of whey powder mixed with water or skim milk (100-180 cal.) won't make a dent of change for ectomorphs.

I think I am qualified to comment on the effectiveness of certain protein powders.
Not.

Opermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I'm not why, but you lost me here. "Protein shakes" come in all sizes and shapes, and what you said only apply to protein blends / weight gainers. A serving of whey powder mixed with water or skim milk (100-180 cal.) won't make a dent of change for ectomorphs. Not.
It depends on the ectomorph, how many calories they need and what their goals are. Someone wanting to gain weight slowly without affecting their six-pack may only need a few hundred calories a day to see results. Some may need the weight gainers, which serve an entirely different purpose imo thanks to the addition of sugar. Weight gainers are nothing but a blend of whey/casein/egg/milk protein mixed with simple sugars. You can make your own, which I highly recommend. They are best consumed surrounding or during your workout. Ideally you want a pre or post-workout shake to include sugar to illicit the proper insulin response to trigger the protein's uptake into the muscle. They are more effective surrounding your workout because your muscles are primed for this response, and liquid powder-stuff digests more quickly than whole food, thereby taking advantage of this "increased insulin response" window. Based upon this, a case can be made for the effectiveness of protein powder. When I'm in a hurry I actually use gatorade powder and whey to get some sugar in there. Add water at the gym and presto! I apologize if I'm being vague or confusing. I'm thinking too quickly thanks to my morning coffee
smile.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
snork[1].gif

Are you still trying to prove this:
I think I am qualified to comment on the effectiveness of certain protein powders.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yet another useless post by whacked.

PS - Opermann is correct on all points.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ From you, that's a compliment.

I'm still waiting for you to back this up.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opermann is only correct if people are misusing their protein.

Weight gainers = always bad, IMO.

But there is no reason whey can't be used in combination with whole foods (mixed with yogurt or milk, for instance) to slow down absorbtion a bit. I also don't think anyone thinks that whey is some kind of magical muscle-builder. It's just food, to be added to your diet to get some more protein more easily.

I would have thought that someone who didn't like using whey also wouldn't like using Gatorade. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather take a large dose of quickly-absorbed protein than quickly-absorbed sugar.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll mix whey in my shakes, along with egg whites and a yolk or two. But shakes imo should only be taken pre/post workout, and after you eat. If you are drinking a protein shake on an empty stomach, fill it with real food first. Most of the time I won't bother because I'd rather just eat more chicken, or beef, spirulina, what have you. And whacked, if you really need 'backup' on the idea that its better to break apart protein in small 30g servings throughout the day rather than few massive meals for absorption reasons, then you are completely ignorant of the subject at hand and will no longer be dignified with any response, by me at least. Tell you what, I *will* back it up for you. Go to www.bodybuilding.com and read the ENTIRE section on nutrition. I'm sure it will ALL be news to you. btw: the 30 gram per sitting was posited by Lou Ferrigno.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
If you are drinking a protein shake on an empty stomach, fill it with real food first.
Qualify what the **** 'protein shake' means before using the term.
And whacked, if you really need 'backup' on the idea that its better to break apart protein in small 30g servings throughout the day rather than few massive meals for absorption reasons, then you are completely ignorant of the subject at hand and will no longer be dignified with any response, by me at least.
Just saying something is true doesn't make it so, no matter how much lore and mythology you have to back it up.
Tell you what, I *will* back it up for you. Go to www.bodybuilding.com and read the ENTIRE section on nutrition. I'm sure it will ALL be news to you.
Argumentum ad Populum.
btw: the 30 gram per sitting was posited by Lou Ferrigno.
Argumentum ad Verecundiam.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you serious? Do I need to define the word "is" next?

Qualify what the **** 'protein shake' means before using the term.

Ok, so I stand corrected. It isn't better to break meals into many smaller portions, bodybuilders apparently have that all wrong, and have so for a while. Such "mythology", it's quite shameful! Continue to eat fewer gargantuan meals a day. That's the way to real gains.

Just saying something is true doesn't make it so, no matter how much lore and mythology you have to back it up.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
javyn, don't start turning into beasty on us.

Yes, you do need to qualify "protein shake." Are you talking about whey mixed with water on an empty stomach, or with food, or mixed with milk? The response will be different accordingly.

If you're familiar with bodybuilding.com, you should also be familiar with Alan Aragon, who points out that current research shows that there is no significant difference between eating six small meals a day and three large ones.

So why do pro bodybuilders always eat six meals (or more) a day? You try eating three meals of 2000 or 2500 calories each and see how it goes. There's a convenience factor at work.

And (I don't really care because I think it's incorrect) you still haven't shown support for your idea that protein should only be eaten in 30g increments. Lou Ferrigno, *gasp*, could be wrong about this one. Whacked copied post by Lyle McDonald on the subject refuting your claim. You didn't have any evidence in the first place, and haven't made a counterargument.

Opermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
If you're familiar with bodybuilding.com, you should also be familiar with Alan Aragon, who points out that current research shows that there is no significant difference between eating six small meals a day and three large ones.

Alan's writings are fantastic. Really a must-read for those interested in nutrition and bodybuilding.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan's writings are fantastic. Really a must-read for those interested in nutrition and bodybuilding.

I like the guy a lot; that said, there was an intense argument on this very board regarding one of his more often quoted piece. See here (from post 36).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads