• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a good undergrad school for Business?

The Snob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheApple
Wouldnt it be better to have a 3.9 than a 4.0? Doesnt the 3.9 show that your school just doesnt give out A's? Or am I being silly?

hahaha. maybe that is the case if you go to some school no one has ever heard of. but no one is going to castrate you if you do have a 4.0 and misrepresent your GPA as a 3.9 on your resume (if you're so concerned).

in general, i've never heard of this.

also, if your gpa is substantially high, you'll be phi beta kappa which is something you should aim for esp. if you're coming from a not-as-well-known school.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rutgers New Brunswick is pretty well-known though.

At this point, it seems that you are trying to convince yourself that Rutgers is good school for business.

w.mj

Reaction score
Rutgers New Brunswick is pretty well-known though.

I'm beginning to think this thread is a bit of a send-up. You're not even in school yet. If you want to do IBD at a major firm, pick a math-based major and get great grades. Math, Economics, Physics, maybe Finance.

If your grades are good enough, consider transferring to a better school. I had a friend who transferred from Villanova to NYU Stern with a 3.5 after 2 years. Shouldn't be too hard.

In answer to your question about how high a GPA you need, well let me relate a little anecdote to you. At UPenn's OCR (on campus recruiting) this year, the recruiters from one bulge-bracket picked up the stack of resumes, threw everything below a 3.8 out and then started making cuts. In short, if a 3.7 from Wharton isn't cutting it, a 3.7 from Rutgers wouldn't get a second look.

Conclusion: just work hard and get good grades. The first opportunity for a real internship is the summer after your sophomore year, so just concentrate on school for a bit.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wouldnt it be better to have a 3.9 than a 4.0? Doesnt the 3.9 show that your school just doesnt give out A's? Or am I being silly?

Have you read any of your thread?

TheApple

Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
At this point, it seems that you are trying to convince yourself that Rutgers is good school for business.
Not at all. I apply for their business school at the end of my sophomore year. I have the opportunity to apply to other B Schools as well (NYU Stern for example which was mentioned above). Going to NYU Stern would cost me around an extra $30,000 a year, but im sure it would be more than worth it. Maybe thats what I will do. Apply to NYU Stern Undergrad for Business after i complete my soph. year.

TheApple

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.mj
I'm beginning to think this thread is a bit of a send-up. You're not even in school yet. If you want to do IBD at a major firm, pick a math-based major and get great grades. Math, Economics, Physics, maybe Finance. If your grades are good enough, consider transferring to a better school. I had a friend who transferred from Villanova to NYU Stern with a 3.5 after 2 years. Shouldn't be too hard. In answer to your question about how high a GPA you need, well let me relate a little anecdote to you. At UPenn's OCR (on campus recruiting) this year, the recruiters from one bulge-bracket picked up the stack of resumes, threw everything below a 3.8 out and then started making cuts. In short, if a 3.7 from Wharton isn't cutting it, a 3.7 from Rutgers wouldn't get a second look. Conclusion: just work hard and get good grades. The first opportunity for a real internship is the summer after your sophomore year, so just concentrate on school for a bit.
Finance is not something I am definitely going to major in either. Its something I am considering. Although after researching, I found out that it is a lot of hard work and long hours. Damn, I've got a lot of work ahead of me. Especially losing 100-0 before the game even started. Damn Ivy Leaguers...

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finance is not something I am definitely going to major in either. Its something I am considering. Although after researching, I found out that it is a lot of hard work and long hours.
If you're not completely passionate about something, why are you doing it? It seems as though I see a lot of people putting themselves through a lot of stress, trying to achieve a near perfect GPA, all to do something for the rest of their life that they aren't really interested in...how much sense does that make? If you're going to go balls to the wall and bust your ass to get somewhere, you better enjoy what you're doing, because it would be pretty silly to dedicate much of your life and career to something that doesn't spark your interest.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Word of advice: Finance sucks cock. It really really blows. Don't do it.

BUT - if after four years you still feel like it's the thing for you, the best way to get your foot in the door is not a finance or business degree. It's a quantitative major like engineering or even CS. Take finance courses on the side as well of course to be literate at the interviews. But the engineering degree is what will set you apart - it shows you know how to be quantitative. Economics sure as hell doesn't teach you that.

Paerra

Reaction score
If I were you, I would transfer to a better B-School. I'm thinking along the lines of UPenn, UVa, ND, UMich, NYU, MIT, UT, UCB, UW, UI, UIUC, Cornell, etc etc. It's not really about the Ivy League - that's a major misconception, and clearly a lot of the advice spewed out here is speculatory or anecdotal: the "2 Piles" theory, the "99% of Wall Street bankers are Ivy League legacies", etc etc. If you look at some real employment statistics, you'll realize that's hyperbole. However, you will need a high GPA from a school where top companies typically recruit. Obviously it helps to be Ivy League if you want a high-powered job immediately, but it's not the end-all. Top companies usually seek out grads from the schools at the front of this list: Business Week. It's a good starting point.

haithman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.mj
At UPenn's OCR (on campus recruiting) this year, the recruiters from one bulge-bracket picked up the stack of resumes, threw everything below a 3.8 out and then started making cuts. In short, if a 3.7 from Wharton isn't cutting it, a 3.7 from Rutgers wouldn't get a second look.

And you would know this how?

w.mj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haithman
And you would know this how?

The recruiters at a school are often students who graduated from that school 1-2 years prior.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Word of advice: Finance sucks cock. It really really blows. Don't do it.

BUT - if after four years you still feel like it's the thing for you, the best way to get your foot in the door is not a finance or business degree. It's a quantitative major like engineering or even CS. Take finance courses on the side as well of course to be literate at the interviews. But the engineering degree is what will set you apart - it shows you know how to be quantitative. Economics sure as hell doesn't teach you that.

I agree with what he said..... Do an undergrad in something math-like... then get the grad degree in finance or econ or something.

Unless of course you go to Harvard or Yale, etc.. as an undergrad. Then u can major in just about anything and still get a good job in Finance.

Tad Ferguson

Reaction score
If in 4 years you are still considering an MBA, I would recommend looking at UofC and Northwestern. They are both consistently ranked in the top 20 in various publications.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads