• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the men's suit a vestige of colonialism?

_cameosis_

Reaction score
the op posed a perfectly legitimate question and it's no surprise many a westerner fails to recognize it -- big deal, it's something that was known before.

despite english retaining much of its status, chinese will probably surpass it -- the chinese presence in the emerging markets is too dominant to pass up this opportunity. in theory, hindi could be a contender, but india will stick to english as the lowest common denominator.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that the lounge suit is a vestige of colonialism considering that the lounge suit became the prevalent business dress not before the beginning of the 20th century, a time when the heyday of colonization had already passed. I'd argue that the proliferation of the suit as standard business is rather a product of multiple factors including
- Cultural similarities and close ties between the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Europe
- The education of the large portions of the elite from Latin American, African and Asian countries in North America and Europe
- The economic globalization initially driven by American and European companies,
- The dominance of Western media (especially Hollywood, but also TV shows, magazines, etc.) throughout the world (something which obviously changes now)

Another argument against the suit being forced upon people through colonialism is that it is also the prevalent dress in China and Japan, which were never colonies of Western powers (apart from the cities of Qingdao, Macao, Hong Kong)

Aldehyde

Reaction score

I used to spend a ton of money on Western products such as wingtip shoes, accessories, and suiting goods, not realizing that I am supporting western imperialism. I'm going back to traditional menswear, which IMHO is more easy on the Earth. :slayer:

I would like to see photos, or at least a description of this "Traditional Menswear".

Also, where do you live?

Calder

Reaction score
If we're talking about environmentally friendly clothing, I assure you that wearing pure wool, cotton, linen, silk or leather garments & accessories is far better than viscose or polyester based chemical products.

As far as styling goes, yes modern business attire does owe something to clothing design passed down from colonial period uniforms, but it also features touches which were styled from other sources - quite often because the British Empire frequently adapted local solutions for dealing with weather & climate into their uniforms, which then became part of the overall style of dress.

Colonialism works both ways, not that either the British Empire or many people nowadays would be willing to admit it.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well put Alex. To me, globalization (economic and cultural) is really the driver for the spread of the western business suit.

Even more interesting to me is the future of the suit. Will it continue to be the uniform of politics and business if there are shifts in world power? Will it evolve to meet new cultural or business demands? Is there something inherent in the western suit that men want to wear even if they don't have to?

_cameosis_

Reaction score

Another argument against the suit being forced upon people through colonialism is that it is also the prevalent dress in China and Japan, which were never colonies of Western powers (apart from the cities of Qingdao, Macao, Hong Kong)

check this (applies both to china and japan):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unequal_treaty

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The British basically copied or adapted many styles from different nations or civilisations.
For example neckties/bowties/cravates have their roots in Croatia. The dress shirt or the idea behind it existed in the East for ages etc.
Let's not talk about fabrics that originated in countries with warmer climates such as cashmere, silks and even cotton and these were known and used for clothing in the nations where they originated in for centuries before the British could even think of using such.

Bjorn2

Reaction score

The British basically copied or adapted many styles from different nations or civilisations.
For example neckties/bowties/cravates have their roots in Croatia. The dress shirt or the idea behind it existed in the East for ages etc.
Let's not talk about fabrics that originated in countries with warmer climates such as cashmere, silks and even cotton and these were known and used for clothing in the nations where they originated in for centuries before the British could even think of using such.

Actually it was croatian mercs fighting in France, so the wide spread of neckties originated there.

Are we slamming the British for the colonies or for setting the standards for international business dress? I don't get the point of this thread. So what?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is not about colonialism it is about looking professional and showing respect for ones self and his work. You should feel honored to be able to dress in such away for a living, not all men are so fortunate especially with most work places become so casual lately.

And why is it that wearing something besides a suit is considered "unprofessional"? How do you think that standard made its way around the world?

kellgy

Reaction score
American dress is a symbol of freedom and liberty. Talk about oppression, just look at China.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:revolve:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads