• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is skinny the new jacked?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You're right that making seemingly small changes can have a large impact, especially on total weight. The problem, though, is that these kinds of changes inevitably result in a progress plateau. That's perfectly fine for people who aren't interested in making progress past a relatively "normal" level of fitness, but otherwise other measures are necessary. So if you dropped 25 pounds and are happy that way, then kudos to you.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point Dedalus is making is that you can size down for a skinny body, but your shoulders will be much more dependent on your proportional skeletal structure for your height, which, if you're skinny, means you will have disproportionately wide shoulders for any shirt that fits you in the chest, etc.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
The point Dedalus is making is that you can size down for a skinny body, but your shoulders will be much more dependent on your proportional skeletal structure for your height, which, if you're skinny, means you will have disproportionately wide shoulders for any shirt that fits you in the chest, etc.
Then given that we are a clothing forum above all, the ideal body weight is whatever gives you the right size chest given your shoulder width in your favourite clothing brand. Anything else is worse than unhealthy.
teacha.gif

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
no
if they weigh more than 120 (and thats for the taller ones)
im not going to want them

That is just pathetic in so many ways.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Going back on topic a bit ...

I'm 5'11", 130 lbs. and I'm happy with my weight. I just eat normally and don't try to gain or lose any weight. I don't think I should force myself to eat more and do more than I feel necessary simply because some people will not find my body masculine enough.

I'm pretty happy about this trend, it means that those of us who are naturally thin can finally buy clothes that fit us. The size XS is becoming more common and I'm really happy about that.

How old are you? (Just wondering, not hating)

EgoSays

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drainpipe
I'm 5'10" and, weighing myself just this morning, hovering around 128 lbs. For the last few years I've been pretty much within two pounds of 130. I like this weight for me. It's definitely skinny, but it's not anorexically skinny. I'm not "chicken-chested" either. I lift weights three times a week. My 5RM on bench, squat, and deadlift are 135 (injured my rotator cuff recently so this is probably overshooting it), 185, 215. I have a six-pack and pectorial muscles and noticable veins in my arms. On the other hand, I also run 10K three times a week and average about 1800-2000 calories per day without starving myself. I am definitely going for the Brad Pitt Fight Club look rather than the "normal" athletic look.

And I'm glad the fashion has been turning towards the skinny. If cheaper places start adjusting their stock to be skinny (like H&M and Uniqlo), then maybe I can actually find some decent cheap clothes without having to buy Japaness brands.

Either you aren't 5'10 or you have some distorted body image going on. I'm 174cm, 145 lbs at 4% body fat and look pretty similar body wise to Brad Pitt in fight club, and I'd actually lean toward being slightly thinner.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'd stop following the scientific training crowd unless you're waaaaaaaay serious about this. Just eat healthy meals in reasonnable portions and go running regularly and you will loose the extra fat.
yeah file me under this school of thought as well. I am not a lifter, it bores me stupid. I also have no ambition to get all that much bigger than I am now, so this works out nicely for me. I am 5'10, ~75 kg (ummm I think that is 165 lbs give or take) and I am pretty comfortable at this size. I have decent arms without calling them Gunz. I have a chest that is noticable through most of my shirts, but am no pecmonster. I have a butt that gets compliments in jeans. I'm pretty happy with all that. Weakspots - I get a gut really easily. That is part genetic, my father was the same, and it is part self inflicted, since I drink socially and am quite the socialite
smile.gif
In my case I went from having an evil gut that I found embarrassing (I was so sick of people asking me when I was due) to where it looks basically ok (but can flare up at any moment) by doing two things. 1. switching to diet soda. I used to chain drink Coke, now I drink a couple of diets a day and a whole lot more water. 2. getting back into boxing a few times a week. No real science involved with this for me, just some commonsense I guess. I think the key is choosing an exercise that I honestly enjoy doing. I hate most forms of exercise. I find it forced, but I'm pretty OK with 3 mins on a jump rope x a few rounds plus bags, mitts, sparring and so forth. I really enjoy it, and I love doing something that does not allow me to get complacent (get complacent, get hit), so that keeps me focussed. The only conditioning stuff I do are burpees and situps (between jumprope rounds). The last time I was in this good shape, I was living in Melbourne right near a large park, and I used to run in the park daily and use the playground equipment for conditioning exercises (hanging leg raises/pull ups etc on the monkey bars, crunches on the slides/dips on benches and so forth). I enjoyed that, and there was a large sports field there, so on the weekends I would watch the cricket or football on the field, made the time go quicker and distract me from the pain. I guess I am ranting now, but my advise is work out some exercise you actually enjoy, and do it regularly, rather than overthinking things and posting online ad nauseum when you could be out cycling/shooting hoops/running in the park/whatever.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I guess I am ranting now, but my advise is work out some exercise you actually enjoy, and do it regularly, rather than overthinking things and posting online ad nauseum when you could be out cycling/shooting hoops/running in the park/whatever.

According to a recent study, posting on online message boards spikes your metabolism while simultaneously reducing your hunger, and in the meantime, any calories you DO eat will be immediately converted to muscle in all the "beach" areas. Look it up, man, look it up.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
According to a recent study, posting on online message boards spikes your metabolism while simultaneously reducing your hunger, and in the meantime, any calories you DO eat will be immediately converted to muscle in all the "beach" areas. Look it up, man, look it up.

So that's how Jon does it.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
So that's how Jon does it.

I learned from you:

Originally Posted by whacked
I'm your height and 143lbs as of last night. Should have been more had I gone out of the country the whole last month and got sick afterward. I was ~123lbs about 12-14 months ago.

cheers.gif

Jon.

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
This girl i know is going to talk me into doing pilates and/or yoga with her. I may as well give it a try since i'm not very flexible and am more interested in that than lifting weights. Should be interesting.

Pilates is the only class at my school where I was the only guy of 40....have fun
cheers.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads