• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ironing corduroy trousers

Will Knowles

Reaction score
Inside out.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Use some steam, very, very light pressure on the iron, do not touch the nap of the corduroy with the iron, use press cloth, move the iron with the nap, not against the nap. Actually do not move the iron on the trouser. Lift the iron and move to next area. Go slow. Check heat setting on iron. These are cotton not wool.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually press mine inside out, but Despos provides good advice that I'll try.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will Knowles
Inside out.

+1

Though I see Chris Despos & others recommend a press cloth, which also sounds sensible. The point with both methods is not to directly press the nap.

But I hate ironing trousers, so usually give them to the local dry cleaner to press instead...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with pressing/ironing directly onto the nap of corduroy pants?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Flattens it totally and then to add insult to injury, it makes them a bit shiny as well.

It's never the same again, despite brushing. You might get away with it on wide-wale cords, I guess, but narrow-wale/needlecords definitely seem to need some extra care in my personal experience.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Flattens it totally and then to add insult to injury, it makes them a bit shiny as well.

It's never the same again, despite brushing. You might get away with it on wide-wale cords, I guess, but narrow-wale/needlecords definitely seem to need some extra care in my personal experience.

Yes, in my experience they become very shiny.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
But I hate ironing trousers, so usually give them to the local dry cleaner to press instead...

There is a danger in that if your cleaner does not do a "soft press" Some will lock the head down on the pressing buck and ruin the nap.

Depends on what type of corduroy you have, but brushing after pressing helps a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads