• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iphone apps for cycling

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I discovered cyclemeter http://www.abvio.com/cyclemeter/ yesterday and I am still figuring it out, but it seems easy to use and looks good when mounted on your bike. The display looks like a decked out cyclingcomputer and the app stores all kind of fun info about your trips.
Does anybody use an iPhone app for sports? I ordered a Dahon BioLogic bike mount for my phone to keep it protected from rain and to essentialy replace my cyclingcomputer. I dont care for the 'lag' (due to the use of gps)in speed recording that this app has compared to 'real time' speed measurement with a cateye.
iCols is another app that appeals to cyclists that want to climb mountains (or hills) in Europe.
I have not used this yet.
http://www.icols.net/

Any info or recs out there on this forum?

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonicreducer
check out the 'ride the city' app.

Ok I checked it out. Does not seem to bad though. But bikelanes are so common in Holland that I would not bother with using a nav app for finding them on my bike.
I like to ride outside in the countryside and make 50 to 80 km trips that benefit from gps use by trying to take the most scenic route. The below part is a copy paste from the ride the city app.

"
As on the website, the iPhone app steers you toward routes that maximize the use of bike lanes, bike paths, greenways, and other bike-friendly streets. Routes avoid high-traffic streets and steep climbs.
You can select your preferred route sensitivity: direct, safe, or safer. Or you can change them on the fly.
The directions are displayed on the map with an easy-to-read scrollable screen - perfect for double-checking your trip when taking a break.
Find the nearest bike shops (and get directions to one) with just one touch.
We've placed a Report an Error button prominently on the map so you can provide instant feedback to report a mistake on the map or to suggest a better way around.
As on the website, Ride the City utilizes a CloudMade basemap that is sourced from OpenStreetMap, the volunteer community mapping project that is making a free map of the world."

sonicreducer

Reaction score
yeah, i live in nyc and find it super helpful, but if i wanted to ride the countryside/outskirts of the city i wouldn't find it especially useful ..

mgoose

Reaction score
Haha i saw cycling and I thought you were going to ask about an iphone app to track your usage during a "cycle"

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgoose
Haha i saw cycling and I thought you were going to ask about an iphone app to track your usage during a "cycle"

Haha when I did a search for cycle, apps and iphone thats exactly what I got.. haha
But biking is also used for motorbiking and cycling is a usual term for biking so there you go.

Anyway does anybody have good recs for a routeplanner tom tom style for Iphone that has a setting for use on a bike?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads