• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview Wear

allcapitan

Reaction score
About shirts. I just bought a white dress shirt at BR. It was fitted and had a nice sheen to it so I bought it right away on sale for $30 or so (regular price $80). I just looked at it more carefully and it has french cuffs and two collar buttons. Is this safe for an interview setting?

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
About shirts. I just bought a white dress shirt at BR. It was fitted and had a nice sheen to it so I bought it right away on sale for $30 or so (regular price $80). I just looked at it more carefully and it has french cuffs and two collar buttons. Is this safe for an interview setting?

Collar buttons? Is it a button-down collar? That would seem to be an odd combination with french cuffs. If it is a button-down collar then it is informal and thus it would not be appropriate with a tie (some will argue, but for an interview go with the old-fashioned "not-appropriate" crowd)

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Allcapitan, I rarely find myself disagreeing with Will, who is full of sound advice, but in this case, I'd proceed cautiously. You don't mention your age, or what jobs you're interviewing for, but if you're young or in a conservative field, the choice of brown could raise eyebrows. Outside our forum, the idea of pairing brown and gray is still alien to many guys; you don't want the interviewer to assume you're a dandy, or to think that you're flouting interview conventions. At the very least, the pairing of brown and gray could distract from your message, and place attention on your clothes, rather than you, as a candidate.

As for the shirt, a button cuff is preferred. It's the same reason as before: You want to seem dependable and reliable, not flashy and full of yourself. For that reason, I'd hesitate to recommend your BR for the purpose. If you have another, a bit more plain, I'd go with that.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoryB
Collar buttons? Is it a button-down collar? That would seem to be an odd combination with french cuffs. If it is a button-down collar then it is informal and thus it would not be appropriate with a tie (some will argue, but for an interview go with the old-fashioned "not-appropriate" crowd)

Knowing BR, I assume it's a slightly taller spread collar with two buttons, rather than a button-down.

allcapitan

Reaction score
I believe it is similar to this shirt, only fitted:

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...524&pid=337995

"Elevated double-button spread collar"
"French cuffs"

Usually, my shirts have a single button for the collar, not two, and regular cuffs, not french. So I'm wondering if the two button/french cuff/spread collar/fitted in white is fine for interviews.

allcapitan

Reaction score
This is for a teaching job and I am in my early thirties.

I have black lace ups but they are a bit weathered, and I just thought brown would be a nice change of pace as I think look good with that color.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
"Elevated double-button spread collar"
Since you'll be wearing a tie, no one will know how many buttons your collar has. It presumably has two buttons because the collar is higher than normal. High collars are somewhat fashionable (on their way out according to some on this forum), but it's much more important whether your neck and head shape are flattered by the collar.

allcapitan

Reaction score
I'm really new to all this. I'm just learning how to tie a tie. Yikes! I just found out the difference between spread and pointed collars yesterday (I have mostly spread collars).

What's a good reference on dress shirts/collars and how they flatter/frame your face? A book or website link would be great.

Originally Posted by Jared
Since you'll be wearing a tie, no one will know how many buttons your collar has. It presumably has two buttons because the collar is higher than normal. High collars are somewhat fashionable (on their way out according to some on this forum), but it's much more important whether your neck and head shape are flattered by the collar.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alan Flusser's "Dressing the Man" has a nice section on the best ways to frame your face. It's one of the most helpful books on men's clothing out there.

In general, most any guy looks good in a moderate spread collar. But more specifically, guys with very round faces want to avoid wide spread collars that accentuate the roundess. A longer point collar will work better for them. But that long point collar won't flatter a thin, gaunt face, particularly if the points are very close together.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes seem fine to me for a teaching job--as long as the school isn't hopelessly uptight. If it's a business-oriented school, go for black.

allcapitan

Reaction score
I'm really leaning towards black now. I was just trying to think of the color combos with my charcoal suit, and the burgundy shoes are tough to match up: not quite right with a blue shirt or even a white shirt with charcoal suit.

Also, as far as very shiny shoes vs. shoes with more of a "dull" polish. I am leaning towards black shoes with a little less shine. I think that goes better with a charcoal suit. Agree or disagree? The shiny shoes seem to stand out a bit too much from the overall look. A little too much bling for an interview?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads