• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incotex Problem with Letting Out Waist

CoryB

Reaction score
I just took a pair of slacks to be tailored and planned to have the waist let out by an inch, but was told that when he opened the waist the extra fabric was substantially lighter than the bright orange colour of the slacks. The pants are quite tight, but I guess nothing can be done about it, and best of all, I was charged for it. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

CoryB

Reaction score
I bought them from Chorse. They were unhemmed and with tags. I would be doubtful that at either Chorse's or the store they were exposed to sunlight for an extended period of time.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the pants cotton? Or, worse yet, corduroy? In my experience, you can take in corduroy pants, but forget letting out the waist. The fabric just never looks right. Generally speaking, color fading seems to be less of a problem with wool.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is just exactly the same situation I am in, I have bought two beautiful Pal Zileri white label rib cotton pants from Lakewolf and one fits perfectly and the second is too tight. I considered letting the waist out a bit and I thought with rib cotton pants it would be less visible but now youre telling me it is even worse than with normal cotton? I am going to sell these to a friend of mine because I am not going to take chances on letting the waist out now that I know this. I thought rib cotton would make the crease less visible instead of more visible..

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I've never had trouble letting out the waist with wool Incotex trousers. What material is it?

Countertenor

Reaction score
It's the extra fabric that's lighter (faded?). That's weird. Doesn't that rule out exposure to the sun?

CoryB

Reaction score
These are 100% cotton and the extra material is faded. He indicated that it was quite white and theorized that after the pant was made it was dyed again.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Screw it. Let the waist out and hope that your belt covers it up. Unless he's letting out the butt seam as well, it shouldn't pose a functional problem.

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
Screw it. Let the waist out and hope that your belt covers it up. Unless he's letting out the butt seam as well, it shouldn't pose a functional problem.

I suppose that is a possibility, but I don't really want to wear a belt. I'm just going to wear them until I put on another 5lbs, but I really need to ******* gut to get into them and I'm only a 28" waist! The resale value is already destroyed because they are already hemmed.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
What about dying it? Wouldn't some sort of ribbon belt look good with the orange? I always think pants look weird when they have belt loops but no belt in it.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
These are probably what they call garment dyed slacks. The slack color is processed after construction and will leave the fabric inside a lighter color. We run into this problem all the time and if it is only the waist band that needs letting out the belt will usually cover this area. The other alternative is to have your tailor take a piece of fabric from the waste of the hem and piece it in.

Best Regards,

Gary

"VOTE" www.wbztv.com/alist

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I have had my tailor tell me cotton corduroys don't "let-out well," so it's best to buy them a bit too large than too small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads