• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incorrectly Washed Raw Denim - Un-Even Dye Leeching. Please Help!!

parallelogram

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I made a big error. I have a new pair of Raw indigo Helmut Lang jeans which were too stiff and I thought if I washed them they would get softer. I washed them in cold water, and set them up for hang dry.
I decided to take a look a them and found out that the colour had faded or become lighter unevenly in some places?!?! I looked at the washing instructions (after washing them, doh!), it said Do Not Wash!!

What do you denim aficionados suggest I do? I really love these jeans, I just feel really gutted at the moment.
cloud.gif

Any honest (and intelligent) suggestions will be supremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

rgrds,
parallel..

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by parallelogram
Hello Guys,

I made a big error. I have a new pair of Raw indigo Helmut Lang jeans which were too stiff and I thought if I washed them they would get softer. I washed them in cold water, and set them up for hang dry.
I decided to take a look a them and found out that the colour had faded or become lighter unevenly in some places?!?! I looked at the washing instructions (after washing them, doh!), it said Do Not Wash!!

What do you denim aficionados suggest I do? I really love these jeans, I just feel really gutted at the moment.
cloud.gif

Any honest (and intelligent) suggestions will be supremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

rgrds,
parallel..

First of all, when you wash raw denim and hang to dry there is often soap residue left in various spots that you will be able to just brush off. Try that, it might be fooling you.

Second, don't start a new thread for this. There is a jean thread that already exists.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Seppuku, for your denim journey is no more

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
Talk about narcissism run amok: "oh no! I washed my pants too early!" No wonder the world's going down the *******.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Seppuku, for your denim journey is no more

Best response evar.

But you're probably alright, I doubt they're permanently calico'd.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pimpmystyle
Talk about narcissism run amok: "oh no! I washed my pants too early!" No wonder the world's going down the *******.

B-b-b-but who will think of the denim?

parallelogram

Reaction score
Hey MSSneaker, thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the soap residue, but I can definitely see uneven dye leeching. I had worn these jeans literally 3 times, before I had decided to wash them due to their stiffness. Personally I don't care about whiskers and the broken-in effect ,etc. I looked at my other HL jeans, the tags on all of them say Dry Clean Only. Oh well...

Sorry for starting another thread, I was suffering from a state of panic and grief.

To all the other dim-witted folk: honestly guys, if you have that much time on your hands, its a shame.

mellow

Reaction score
If they're 100% cotton you shouldn't bother worrying about it. I mean, you shouldn't worry about such a thing in the first place but especially if they're straight up cotton.

parallelogram

Reaction score
unbelievable! please read the post correctly. It is not about "narcissism" or "washing the denim early". The question was regarding un-even dye leeching and marbling effects occurring due to incorrectly washing a pair of very nice jeans. The OP was asking how to rectify the error he had made, or possibly reduce its negative effects.

Wow. Maybe people need to reflect on the level of arrogance they are operating at. sheesh!

parallelogram

Reaction score
Hey mellow, thanks for the response. Yes, they are 100% cotton. Is there a way to restore the colour, or even out the dye out across the pants. I was reading on Oki-ni that to even out the dye one should wash the jeans with a little bit of salt in the water:

"If your jeans are heavily pigmented dry or raw denim, washing cold with salt for the first cycle should help to set any loose dye in the fabric." ---- does this actually work?

I had acquired these jeans for formal wear, that is why I was feeling a little gutted. If they were my normal beater jeans I wouldn't be too worried.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unbelievable! please read the post correctly. It is not about "narcissism" or "washing the denim early".

Maybe you should edit your thread title, because it suggest just that. Post some pics would be handy.

parallelogram

Reaction score
Yes entrero, you are correct. I just changed the thread title. thanks for the tip.

the jeans are still drying, therefore i can't post any pics. posting pics in opinion would be slightly useless as the fades aren't extremely obvious, and it would be difficult to get an exact colour representation of them in a photograph. but i would say that certain areas are no longer 'dark blue' and have become 'lighter blue' - as in certain chunks or patches and streaks, and that certainly looks weird!

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wash them again...

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
unbelievable! please read the post correctly. It is not about "narcissism" or "washing the denim early". The question was regarding un-even dye leeching and marbling effects occurring due to incorrectly washing a pair of very nice jeans. The OP was asking how to rectify the error he had made, or possibly reduce its negative effects. Wow. Maybe people need to reflect on the level of arrogance they are operating at. sheesh!
You cannot fool us by defending yourself in 3rd person.
Yes entrero, you are correct. I just changed the thread title. thanks for the tip. the jeans are still drying, therefore i can't post any pics. posting pics in opinion would be slightly useless as the fades aren't extremely obvious, and it would be difficult to get an exact colour representation of them in a photograph. but i would say that certain areas are no longer 'dark blue' and have become 'lighter blue' - as in certain chunks or patches and streaks, and that certainly looks weird!
Problem solved. Would have faded anyway since you bought raw denim, what did you expect them to do?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads