• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm 6'4" and 155 pounds. Nothing fits me!

XSF

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a 23 year old guy from NYC. Always been into style, but now that I have some actual money, I'd like to do something about my wardrobe.

The problem I'm constantly running into is fitting. It's hard to find shirts and pants that are made for my frame. I've bought a couple pairs of trousers size 31x34 from Bonobos (tailored slim fit) and Uniqlo (skinny fit with a touch of spandex) that are pretty good, but I'm looking for some casual/dressy-casual pants with a bit more quality. And god forbid I find a pair of jeans I like! I haven't worn jeans in over a year. I went into Lucky the other day and the salesman straight up said, "we won't have anything that'll fit you."

Shirts are a little bit more tricky with my long, trim torso, and long arms. I've only got a few shirts in my closet out of about 25 that I actually enjoy wearing, now that I know how clothing is supposed to fit: a Prada gem I found in a thrift store that fits me like a glove, a Bonobos medium tailored slim floral shirt (but not all of their "tailored slim" shirts are cut the same, which I've learned the hard way), and a custom made Manuel Racim shirt. He makes bespoke shirts in TriBeCa - I had one given to me as a gift last year. Unbelievably perfect fit, but I don't like the non-iron cotton quality.

I tend to avoid polos because I have arms that don't really fill out most short sleeve shirts. That said, I look very good in a suit! Anyway, I would also love to find a flattering polo or two; ditto short sleeve button downs. Banana Republic used to fit me decently, but their new slimmest fit is now "Grant," which is baggy on me.

So, Style Forum. What is your advice for finding quality casual-ish clothing given my frame? Anyone out there like me with success stories or go-to brands? Thanks! Looking forward to posting more on this forum.

thesilentist

Reaction score
Go bespoke

Pretty much, or at least made-to-measure. You're in NYC, there' a ton of options at a variety of price ranges. Do some research, pick a place and try them out.

The salesman was right: nothing's going to fit you off the rack in sizes a department store would carry. You're outside the bell curve of "average American male sizing". You're going to be wasting your time going to stores or looking at traditional brands.

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Go online. You'll find bigger sizes than in the stores. Here are some resources for you https://chubstr.com/

ASOS is one of many online vendors which are starting to cater for bigger guys. They have 5XL Polo shirts.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The post above was meant for another thread?

There are many jeans brands that carry size 31x34. For example, Levi's. It's more a matter of finding something in stock locally at whatever the budget is. NYC of course greatly increases the odds of that.

Nobody is going to be able to offer much help on shirts without knowing measurements. It does sound like even properly-sized short-sleeved shirts won't be particularly flattering, yet they unfortunately still will be necessary in some circumstances. Here's an educated guess that Original Penguin polos (so-so quality) will fit better than most other brands. Bold patterns help distract from some fit issues.

It's not a fun part of the job, but consultants and stylists are paid to track down unusual sizes.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads