• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@sugarbutch

Son buttonholes me after school pickup:

"Dad, I know it's a school night but can I please go out with Charlie (friend from SI) to eat in the City?"

"Maybe, where are you going?"

"Some place called House of Prime Rib. Do you know it? His Dad won dinner there in a charity auction or something."

"Yes. Go. Be back by 10:00."

Ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu ...

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earliest reservation I can get right now on Opentable is March 7.

emptym

Reaction score
^Is your son at SI? I know some people there. Hope our kids go there if we're still in SF then.

Anyone have morels grow in their back yard? Several weeks ago, we had these:
IMG_0124.jpeg

Today I found these:
IMG_0321.jpeg

One past its prime, unfortunately. Both sets were under a deck in an area that gets low light and stays fairly moist. I'm guessing there were some spores in a bag of fertilizer I put down months ago.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sugarbutch

Son buttonholes me after school pickup:

"Dad, I know it's a school night but can I please go out with Charlie (friend from SI) to eat in the City?"

"Maybe, where are you going?"

"Some place called House of Prime Rib. Do you know it? His Dad won dinner there in a charity auction or something."

"Yes. Go. Be back by 10:00."

Ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu ...

get your son to post some photos of the wine he had over in the wine thread

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Is your son at SI? I know some people there. Hope our kids go there if we're still in SF then.

Anyone have morels grow in their back yard? Several weeks ago, we had these:
View attachment 1673018
Today I found these: View attachment 1673011
One past its prime, unfortunately. Both sets were under a deck in an area that gets low light and stays fairly moist. I'm guessing there were some spores in a bag of fertilizer I put down months ago.

Nice, if they're true morels saute'um and pop um on a pizza. But probably want to check first.

It's been a brutally dry year and horrible spring/summer for wild mushrooms all over the west. Rainbow Grocery last week had chanterelles for $55.99/lb, which is an unheard of price and the highest I've seen in 25-years of paying attention. Rainbow carries a lot of wild shrooms from Wineforest mushrooms, owned by long-time broker Connie Green (based in Napa). A chef buddy bought 5lbs from Connie for a private event not long ago and those chanterelles are being imported from Bulgaria.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The irony of the ever-present line of idling German crossovers waiting to get into the parking lot of the hippie grocery always tickles me.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, there's finally a second reason to visit San Rafael. New ramen place, Menya Shono, sandwiched between the tanning salon and Mechanic's Bank on 4th Street. Is an offshoot of Mensho, who have restaurants in Tokyo and SF, and it's ******* amazing. Straight into my top three best bowls ever.

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330 2.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

Get extra duck chashu, trust me.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely on the radar. I'm 20 minutes from there and haven't been yet but it's on the list for when the weather turns cooler. Have read up on the chef opening the spot and it's on my radar for sure.

As a "local" to central Marin, I can vouch that there's not a whole lot else to visit San Rafael for...what's your first reason?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone else nominated Sol Food a few pages back.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone else nominated Sol Food a few pages back.

Thought you were gonna say Spider Murphy's Tattoo shop lol. My wife is from Sacramento, and when we'd make the inevitable visit back, I'd always layer in an appointment to visit this shop. All around, likely the best tattoo shop in the country in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads