• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't look good in a suit.

phxguy

Reaction score
Help! I thought it'd get better with a better tailor and nicer suits, but so far I haven't made much progress. (Bear in mind, "better" with respect to the tailor doesn't mean "good.")

Here's the deal: I have skinny legs (knock kneed at that), a narrow waist that moves quickly into a bit of a belly, not much of a chest, pretty broad shoulders, long arms and an oblong shaped head. (6'2 230 / 42 or 44L ) Inevitably, structured coat shoulders make my head look even thinner (sort of a la Phil Jackson) and my torso even bigger relative to my waist and legs. And I"ve had trouble getting suit trousers that "grip" comfortably at the right part of my waist...they inevitably slide down or get creases for being cinched up too tight. And for as awkward looking as I've made myself sound, I don't have a hard time finding slacks and a dress shirt that -- without a coat -- look decent. It's frustrating to look worse as I dress up.

What should I be looking for to de-emphasize these body dynamics? Do shoulders in dress suits come in are varying degrees of "structured"? Is my shirt collar an important factor? And is there is some particular reason I have a hard time find suit trousers that sit comfortably on the waist?

Incidentally, I generally get a 44L and get the pants and coat taken in. Could my main problem be that I need to start with a 43L, particularly given my challenge with finding a good tailor (in Phoenix)?

Comments are much appreciated!

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't read your entire post, but if you don't like how you look in a suit regardless of fit, you will generally have to work on changing your body. As for tailoring changes, it's hard to judge from a description.

Gorpomon

Reaction score
Post some pictures to get valuable feedback, blur out your face if you want to remain anonymous. Also have you taken use of the thread where three esteemed tailors help you get the best fit out of your suit?

-Ron

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This probably isn't an option, but I watched a large man get fitted by Despos in his shop and it made him look pretty good... but it costs good money to look that good at that size :lol:

phxguy

Reaction score

Post some pictures to get valuable feedback, blur out your face if you want to remain anonymous. Also have you taken use of the thread where three esteemed tailors help you get the best fit out of your suit?

-Ron

No...what thread?

Will post pics in a couple suits.

Thx all.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seriously need pictures, because right now I am seeing someone like one of those malnourished children, but scaled up to 6'2". You know skinny everything but bloating in the belly due to the malnourishment.

Other than that I don't see how it can be difficult as you don't sound obese.

Also what part of your body are you referring to as your waist, as it sounds more like your hip than waist from your description?

Last edited:

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, you are 6'2, 230 and you say you have broad shoulders.

According to some, you should be the perfect frame to look good in tailored clothes.

Post pictures or face your body issue problems.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can you be 6+ feet tall with broad shoulders and be able to squeeze into a 42?

Risk_Reward

Reaction score
great point, I'm 6'0" and I wear a 43 (19.5 inch shoulder measurements) and I would not call my shoulders broad.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum.
Awaiting photos....

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The silly season of first posts is well and truly here.

Photographs will enable assistance - a hard-to-read description does not.

Have you tried bespoke or MTM? From what little I could work out, that might assist. You also ask "Is my shirt collar an important factor?" it is important that it fits for a start - the type of collar might be relevant to the shape of your head, but as that is an unknown....

Last edited:

dorolf07

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
pictures of you wearing the suit will be helpful..if you're new to wearing suits try on a few brands and see how they fit, maybe you'll get lucky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads