• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't fill my gas tank?!?!

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
and 3. there's peace in the middle east.

+1

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Stop driving a Humscalade and stop bitching about $2.79 gas. I haven't seen prices like that around here since before Katrina.

tounge.gif

I don't care about the prices and I wish I lived somewhere where I didn't have to drive. I also wish people would get it that we should change our lifestyle. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening for a while. I guess it's easier to invade other countries. But that's another thread...

I just think it's weird that if I'm going to pay higher prices and have to pay $3 / gallon to fill the tank (of my 1990 Bronco 2), it's certainly not easy.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget that 60% of that price of crude is pure speculation. As long as Russian & US governments are getting super-rich on oil, there would not be any peace in the Middle East.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
tounge.gif
I don't care about the prices and I wish I lived somewhere where I didn't have to drive. I also wish people would get it that we should change our lifestyle. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening for a while. I guess it's easier to invade other countries. But that's another thread... I just think it's weird that if I'm going to pay higher prices and have to pay $3 / gallon to fill the tank (of my 1990 Bronco 2), it's certainly not easy.

Just don't try and steal the gas. Broncos don't have a good record for cop chases.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Makes me glad I bicycle and then ride the BART train to get everywhere. Only way it could be better is if they were powering the train on renewable or nuclear.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am trying to remember exactly when I would have deemed the Middle East to be "at peace" in my lifetime...and I cannot come up with that answer.

So, back to China. Toss in India too. Then into the commodity basket, toss in cement, iron, and whatever else it takes to build infra-structure. IMO, that's the real driver, not US SUVs, for this price run up.

Everyone always talks about changing the way we live, but in the US and Canada, I just do not really see that happening any time soon. As long as cities are seen as cesspools by the middleclass, they will continue building ever expanding concentric rings of suburbs. This is one thing the US and Canada could really learn from Europe, make cities desirable places to live. Of course, this model also relegates the poor out to the 'burbs
wink.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
and 3. there's peace in the middle east.

and 4. Exxon and friends decide to become non-profit, because $10bil quarterly profits are SOOOO 2006.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in the SD area, the cheapest gas is at the ARCO stations. The cheapest one I've seen starts at 2.999 for reg and ends at 3.199 for premium (which is what my Beemer takes).

BTW, what ever happened to the development of oil shale deposits in the Rockies area? I understand that the capacity is over 2 trillion (billion?) barrels which is a lot more than all the other oil deposits combined. I also understand that when regular oil is about $50 a barrel, it is then feasible to produce the oil from shale and that the oil companies have been trying to produce it since the 70s. I may be off on some of the numbers, but the point is that oil is now well more than the threshold for feasibility, yet no oil from shale.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
BTW, what ever happened to the development of oil shale deposits in the Rockies area? I understand that the capacity is over 2 trillion (billion?) barrels which is a lot more than all the other oil deposits combined. I also understand that when regular oil is about $50 a barrel, it is then feasible to produce the oil from shale and that the oil companies have been trying to produce it since the 70s. I may be off on some of the numbers, but the point is that oil is now well more than the threshold for feasibility, yet no oil from shale.

Pretty sure about half of Alberta is currently being dug up for oil sands.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Apparently, some gas stations in the area have this thing where they will have the pumps stop at $50 (I think because of theft?) but that's not enough to fill my tank. I tried to use the pump again but the attendant told me that once you hit $50 you can't use the same credit card twice.

Fellow PA resident here. This is the way it was explained to me: above a certain $ amount they need your signature to authorize the charge. I always thought it was $25 but I guess it is $50 now. Seeing as you do not "sign" your receipt at the gas pump, it shuts off when it hits the limit.

Contrast this to when you run your card at Whole Foods (I call that place "Whole Paycheck" with their prices) and you ring up a $100 grocery bill for a carton of eggs and a gallon of milk. You run your card but you will sign on the electronic LCD screen so the charge goes through.

You could always do what most eastern PA people do ... go to NJ for cheap gas.
biggrin.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
and 4. Exxon and friends decide to become non-profit, because $10bil quarterly profits are SOOOO 2006.

I was just waiting for:

5. Raw crude from the Alaskan wilderness is carried in on the backs of flying pigs.

--Andre

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Pretty sure about half of Alberta is currently being dug up for oil sands.

Controlled by a US company, if I recall.

Really, peace in the middle east wont solve much for the US, but it will get rid of one thing for oil companies to say "oh, well, there's some fighting, lets bump up the prices". The only middle eastern company that the US imports from, if I recall, is Saudi Arabia, and they're relatively stable.

It goes something like Saudi Arabia, Canada, Mexico in order from most to least imports of crude to the US. Plus the US is a net exporter of gasoline, and other refined oil products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads